• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Getting My Motorcycle License

Hannibal

Members

Oh how I miss mine... Have been thinking about picking up another one here lately.

Like the others have said I would highly recommend some sort of training class. I did mine at the local community college and when I passed the class got my license. Easy as can be.

The best advise I can give you is to keep your head on a swivel because most people do not look out for motorcycle riders. I stopped riding mine to work after the third time I almost got creamed due to someone being more worried about their coffee or newspaper...

Jeff721

Members
Wow, there is some...interesting... advice posted so far. If you haven`t already, look up the Motorcycle Safety Foundation, they are the ones that offer the courses through community colleges and Harley dealers.

The Basic Riders Course (brc) is invaluable. It is the best place to start and well worth the cost even though the cost seems outrageous at first. They will provide a helmet and gloves. You will need a long sleeved shirt, preferably a jacket with padding/armor, long pants, and over-the-ankle shoes. You`ll probably want a set of good gloves too for feedback an protection, I dont know about you, but I use my fingers a lot.

Do yourself a favor and keep the cowboy boots for riding horses, the heel isn`t great for shifting and they offer little support to your ankle should you take an impact. Buy yourself some good gear, it`s worth its weight in gold, even second hand. (Check craigslist and dcsportbikes.net for used gear). Never buy second hand helmets though. If you can`t afford riding gear, you can`t afford to ride, sorry to put it so bluntly. Motorcycling isn`t cheap and the only way you`ll actually save money is to get rid of your car.

Keep in mind that the BRC is just a starter course and barely makes you ready to be on a public street, most of it is done below 15mph and doesn`t train you for the idiots all around you. Once you`ve taken the course practice in parking lots and work your way up.

Try not to buy a fixer-upper or trashed bike as your first ride. It`s bad enough you`ve got inexperience working against you, the last thing you need is a busted bike too. If you`re afraid to mess up a nice bike then get good insurance, I recommend a company called Riders. There is an old saying, there are 2 types of riders, those who`ve dropped their bikes, and those who haven`t dropped them yet.

Avoid anything over 700cc for a cruiser and 500cc for a sport/sport-tourer at first. There are a lot of recent additions to the sub-500cc market over the past 5 years. If you are very comfortable on the bikes at the BRC then a 500 isn`t a bad place to start. If you are a bit shaken, there`s nothing wrong with a 250 and there`s always a market to resell them.

Lastly, I will gladly ride with you if you`ve got a good head on your shoulders and want to learn. I have 7 solid years of riding experience, none of those being a teenager or on a dirtbike.

Sorry for the super long post, hope it helps.

thedavidzoo

Members
I agree with almost everything above, except engine sizes. In my MSF basic course I rode the smallest bike there, some Honda Eliminator with 125cc. Most bikes there had at least 250cc.
When I got my bike it was a 883cc and with a high center of gravity (Harley Sportster, gift, so no choice in the matter). The extra power isn't what scared me at all. It is all in the rider's control of it. I'm not saying go out and buy a 800lb Vtwin, but don't get talked into a tiny bike.

Jefft

Members
I have been thinking of getting one as well ... My next several sizeable purchases will be as follows. 1. a move to a house and out of this apartment .. 2. 2 125 g tanks and perhaps a bigger 180 3. man cave 70 inch HD TV 3d ready, surround system to go with.. 4. Big man cave couch 5. man cave poker table.. and then of course one or the other of these two beauties here little ... Ladies and Gentlemen the Harley Davidson Soft tail Breakout....
picture.php

Or the Harley Davidson Soft Tail Fat boy lo....

picture.php

Jefft

Members
So I saw something last night which made me change the aims of my motorcycle desires for good. Not available in dealerships till September but the closest dealership to me is 70 miles and the owner is already taking 10% down on more orders than he can keep up with. There was a reveal at Sturgis and the revues were raves. Polaris has purchased the company back from a UK firm who ran its name into the ground with cheap knock offs. Now though typically a winter sport motor manufacturer .. they are all American as is the new Indian Company.. All parts machined in America all bikes assembled in America.. and making their debut in the cruiser market.. Ladies and Gents the ORIGINAL Indian is back. All the bikes come standard with motors that are bigger than the biggest "top end upgrade" Harley offers. All the extras you would pay thousands of extra in for the Harleys comes standard on the Indians.. when I am able to buy a bike this is where I am going... Indian Chieftan all the way.. Please check out the website..videos for each of the three bikes being made available this year AND an app on the website which allows you to hear the engine... It puts the sound of a HArley to shame.. you gotta see this!!!

http://www.indianmotorcycle.com/en-...A5-0050569A00BC&WT.mc_ev=PaidSearch&WT.srch=1

picture.php

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
They def making them look nice.
But I have no money and no space to keep it.
I will have to stick with my little toy. LOL it was free. Of course I cant ride it too far.

blkmjk

Members
Bikes were the most fun I have EVER had. It was also one of the scariest things I've done as well. I started with a gsxr1000. I decided that people don't pay attention enough. And the fact I could die easily due to no fault of my own..was enough for me to pursue other passions. I highly recomend summit point. One weekend there no matter what bike your on. Makes you 20x better than any guy you'll run into on the street. 600s are strong enough now that you'll be happy on them for a while. Your a younger guy so I can't imagine you'll be getting a cruiser.

Drew