• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Getting My Motorcycle License

AquaStudent

Members
So...one of the things on my bucket list is to get my M Classification. The Virginia requirements are...

Ok. Seems reasonable enough.

The issue is over the 30 days. In order to be "legal" practicing I need to be accompanied by someone 21 years of age or older who already holds an M Classification. I would be the first of my friends and family to get an M Classification so that's a bit tricky.

I'm curious...if you need to be supervised by someone who has an M License then how did the first person get theirs
icon_smile.gif
jkjk

I also don't yet have a bike. I'm checking CL to find something within my price range (and suitable for me). This is almost as exciting as starting a new tank
icon_smile.gif

Anyone else here recently get there M license?

Becca

Members
My husband has his in MD, but no bike yet. It was part of the deal when I started fostering dogs - he got a motorcycle. He swears it's the next large purchase after we get a new house. In our neighborhood, a motorcycle would probably get up and leave on someone's truck in the middle of the night :-/

Breezyod

Members
Be careful man my buddy just wrecked his drag bike going 70 around a corner 2 days ago. Luckily he only got his legs and arms cut up. Make sure you got a nice helmet and a good jacket.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Leffler817

CCA Members
You could go to your local community college or Harley dealership and sign up for the beginners course. That gets you a permit, training on riding as well as properly falling and some maintenance for your bike. You would probably be meeting with others who like you need a riding partner, perhaps someone would let you tag along. Most of those courses allow you to use their bike while you learn. You need your helmet and gloves. That saves you money from making a big purchase only to discover that it's not your thing and you're stuck with a bike to sell.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

verbal

CCA Members
There is a bike safety class taught a NOVA, it is highly recommended by the guys I know who ride.

AquaStudent

Members
I was reading up on the NOVA classes earlier. I'm not sure if they are still available for the summer. I'd like to get into that one.

@Breez That's a bummer about your buddy. At least his injuries were only minor. That was definitely a purty bike beforehand too.
My calc 2 professor my first semester of college wrecked his bike the summer prior and had trouble writing on the chalkboard above halfway in the beginning. As the semester progressed he was able to write higher and higher on the board and finally, by the end of the semester, could reach the top.

It's definitely dangerous but it looks like there's a lot of joy to be had too.

EDIT: It looks like the Lorton NOVA campus has some available classes. Two consecutive weekdays from 730am to 630pm. I hope I can get my friend to join me...he's working at Goddard this summer.

Last edited:

Breezyod

Members
I was reading up on the NOVA classes earlier. I'm not sure if they are still available for the summer. I'd like to get into that one.

@Breez That's a bummer about your buddy. At least his injuries were only minor. That was definitely a purty bike beforehand too.
My calc 2 professor my first semester of college wrecked his bike the summer prior and had trouble writing on the chalkboard above halfway in the beginning. As the semester progressed he was able to write higher and higher on the board and finally, by the end of the semester, could reach the top.

It's definitely dangerous but it looks like there's a lot of joy to be had too.

If you get into bikes and find people to ride with you will enjoy it alot. I have been on a few cruises down to the beach with my buddies car crew/bike. I don't know if your going for a street bike, racing or whatever but when you do get your bike I suggest finding a group to join up with really fun to cruise with alot of people.

There is a bike safety class taught a NOVA, it is highly recommended by the guys I know who ride.

+1...safety is very important! This class teaches you how to be a defensive bike rider.

My hubby has always had a motorcycle license since he was 16. Always get a good jacket and wear it all the time. And a good helmet that fits properly. Gloves are also good in case you drop your bike.

I plan on taking the safety course when I get my Can-Am Spyder in the future.

Arlene

thedavidzoo

Members
I got my M designation last September through an MSF course. It is probably the most convenient,easiest and safest way to get the M. These classes are available all the time. One is taught by APEX in Fairfax in the GMU parking lot over a weekend. They are all over the place so there is bound to be a convenient location for you.
With this course you automatically get your M (no other testing required by DMV, etc.). Plus, if you have never ridden before or it has been a long time, you will learn A LOT. Even if you have ridden before (long time ago, or are self-taught or were taught by a friend, brother, dad, etc.) there are bad habits to be undone.
They start you out with a small Honda Rebel or such, provide gloves and helmets. It is def a good idea to have professionals teach you.

What kind of riding are you interested in? I went the Harley route.

AquaStudent

Members
My old summer job used to be working for the company that maintains the GMU athletic fields (as well as fields all over the area). I worked weekends at GMU and loved watching that class. I was wondering if that was a part of NOVA or something separate.

As far as I know I think I'd like a cruiser bike more than sport. I'll most likely be using it to make the trips up to my grandmother's on the weekend or around town. I own a 93 explorer and I'd love to save on gas when I can.

If you like sport bikes, but want something that can go for long distances, look into the Kawasaki Concours. My hubby has one and it's a great touring bike that doesn't look like a Goldwing or Harley. He goes on long bike rides with friends and he loves it.

Arlene

JasonC

Members
I own a 93 explorer and I'd love to save on gas when I can.

My supervisor at my last job owned an older F150, and for the same reason rode his bike in just about every day to work. Only days he didn't was if he had to haul lumber/supplies in. He even got the winter riding suit that has a built in heater that connects to the bikes battery.

Considering that I travel about 25 miles each way for work at least 6 days each week, I would love to get a small touring bike... Boulevard or some such... but alas, the same wonderful lady who keeps my fish addiction in check has put the kaibash on that too :p

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
I got my M designation last September through an MSF course. It is probably the most convenient,easiest and safest way to get the M. These classes are available all the time. One is taught by APEX in Fairfax in the GMU parking lot over a weekend. They are all over the place so there is bound to be a convenient location for you.
With this course you automatically get your M (no other testing required by DMV, etc.). Plus, if you have never ridden before or it has been a long time, you will learn A LOT. Even if you have ridden before (long time ago, or are self-taught or were taught by a friend, brother, dad, etc.) there are bad habits to be undone.
They start you out with a small Honda Rebel or such, provide gloves and helmets. It is def a good idea to have professionals teach you.

What kind of riding are you interested in? I went the Harley route.
I went this route too, and was definitely money well spent. Its great to learn from experienced riders, and they provide the bike.

As others have said, good equipment is important. Get light gear for the spring/summer if that's when you'll mostly ride, you don't want to be one of those guys riding in shorts and a tank top. A sweaty shirt is better than road rash on any day. I can personally attest that good gear can do wonders even in a 'light crash.'

For a first bike, get something small and used, because you'll likely drop it once or twice. Make sure you can pick it up too, the only thing more embarrassing than falling is not being able to get back up. After a while of getting comfortable, then you can spend some money and get something new/fancy.

Hawkman2000

Members
My first three vehicles were motorcycles. I started riding when I was 14. In FL I was able to get my class M when I was 14, limited to 200cc. I've had 5 bikes, and loved them all.

Please don't get a sport bike for your first bike. No matter what type of bike you get, your going to spill at some point. Sport bikes are much more responsive not only in power, but in handling and breaking, making them very unforgiving.

If you really want a sport bike, take a look at the ninja 250.

I would recommend something like a older magna or shadow. Something that can be easily repaired, and can take a beating.

If you get a bike with a lot of power, you will probably burn out your clutch really quick. 2 of my friends got 600cc sport bikes for their first, and not only did they drop the a few times, but they burned out their clutches in about 6 months.

No matter what, keep it safe. I hate to see your fish have to be rehomed due to an accident.

Sped89

Members
Road for many years up and down the rocky mountains and overseas. A lot of miles, hit a couple of times and a few nights in the hospital too. Don't forget a good pair of boots, with tread!! Cowboy/biker boots will work if you have a new beefy sole put on them. I have a pair that are going on 15 years old, think my third sole. I paid over $150.00 back in the late 90's for them and they're worth every penny. No matter what get something that provides protection and support to your ankles (hi-top tennis shoes don't work > sorry).

AquaStudent

Members
Thank you for all the suggestions. I'm not sure if I'm going to do the NOVA class or the APEX but ill probably be doing one of those.

I still need gloves and a helm but I do have a comfortable pair of cowboy boots.

gliebig

Members
I just got my first bike last year. Not much for long cruising, but the neighborhood kids think I'm the coolest. :D

Z50.jpg