• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Geophagus Photos

zenins

Members
Hey everyone,

It has been a while since I posted photos here, so take a look at my Geophagus.
There are Surinamensis ( large black dot ) and Altifrons ( small or no dot )
I was trying for a more dramatic lighting to show off their colour and iridescence.
I even got some sand sifting and spitting :lol:

IMG_7415.jpg

IMG_7416.jpg

IMG_7419.jpg

Note the sand spit in behind:
IMG_7427.jpg

More sand sifting:
IMG_7432.jpg

IMG_7435.jpg

IMG_7437.jpg

Really nice fish. Except that I think your Geo. surinamensis are really G. abalios. G. abalios are often shipped as G. surinamensis and the true G. surinamensis is not exported as it is found only in areas that are off limits for collecting. G. surinamensis also has a spotted tail while yours have a more striped tail (consistent with G. abalios).

Andy

UNCLERUCKUS

"THE ALL POWERFUL Q !!
Really nice fish. Except that I think your Geo. surinamensis are really G. abalios. G. abalios are often shipped as G. surinamensis and the true G. surinamensis is not exported as it is found only in areas that are off limits for collecting. G. surinamensis also has a spotted tail while yours have a more striped tail (consistent with G. abalios).

Andy
NICE SHOTS...ANDY KNOWS HIS FISH :jumpy:

zenins

Members

Andy
Thanks for the update.
There are so many variants, it is tough to get a proper ID.
I am not too worried about that, I just like to look at them :D
I just wish their tail fins were not always split.
Usually the most dominant one of the group has the best fins since he chases the others and none chases him, but his are split just as often as the others ...

I didn't have much problems with split tails with my G. abalios. But I did have a terrible time with the G. dicrozoster I had. The big male was always hammering the smaller ones. Had to separate out injured fish more than once. He eventually killed them all off.

Still one of my favorite groups of fish though.

Andy

zenins

Members
I didn't have much problems with split tails with my G. abalios. But I did have a terrible time with the G. dicrozoster I had. The big male was always hammering the smaller ones. Had to separate out injured fish more than once. He eventually killed them all off.
oh ... maybe I should pay more attention to the Latin names after all ... that way I know which fish to avoid ... dicrozoster eh ? ... good to know :happy0144:

I think it had more to do with the individual fish's personality. I have talked to others who had no problems with keeping G. dicrozoster. And of course you are having some issues with your G. abalios fighting and I never had any problems.

Andy