• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Genesis to Rid Chlorine

Wblaze

Members
I used to use a product called genesis to make the tap water safe for the aquarium. It was real easy, one drop per gallon and I bought a huge size to refill the dropper. I cannot find that anywhere. Do they still make it? If not, what product do you recommend? I have api safestart, but seems pricey for nothing.

jonclark96

Past CCA President
I think they stopped making Genesis a few years ago. It was the only thing I used when I was at a house with municipal water (don't need to dechlorinate now that I am on well water). Most folks that I know use Prime by Seachem as their dechlorinator. I think it is available in both liquid and powder form. The powder form is much more affordable.

JLW

CCA Members
The company that made Genesis, Aquarium Products, has sadly been gone for a while now. They were based out of Glen Burnie, MD, which made them a very locally owned company. Some of you might even remember Merrill Cohen, who was the founder of the company and passed away in 2003 -- very knowledgeable man. They were bought up in 1999 by Interpet, but continued to produce under the Aquarium Products label for some time. They were eventually bought up by Central Pet and Garden, when they did their big buying binge, and the AP label was eventually done away with.

Genesis was a strictly sodium thiosulphite based dechlorinator: Prime has kind of replaced it as the industry standard.

You can buy "Safe," from SeaChem, which is basically powdered Prime, but it should NOT be mixed up beforehand and stored for long periods. The chemical breaks down in water, over time, and Safe lacks the binders that keep it from doing that (according to their website). Some people have ignored that warning and had good success, but I've also heard others say it causes problems. So, caveat.

toddnbecka

Members
I used Genesis for years w/out any issues, never have used Prime. I ran across someone selling sodium thiosulfate crystals and got 8oz for $10 shipped, that much will keep me going for years. You mix 4 oz/gallon or 1/2 tsp/4oz water, and it's still 1 drop/gallon to use.

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
I have like 30 drops of genesis left.
just running out.
Hated to see it go.
No mixing, no fuss. Drop per gallon and let er go.. Oh well.