• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

FS Baby Nics and HRP

MonteSS

Members
Nics are about 5/8-3/4" long and they grow fast. I'm sure you have all seen the parents :)

HRP are 1/2-1" long. Will be very blue with red fins like dad.

$2 each to cover some of my time and cost.

Shupping is about $12.00.

....Bill

MonteSS

Members
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFzJjZvh4Cw

She is bluer than the incandecent bulbs in the 10g show.

There has been debate over this fish. I personally am 99% sure she is pure HRP.

As I have kept and bred HRP and Cons lately I see quite a difference in body type, and not just coloring.

She is (was because she was killed) full grown and only about 3". Very powder blue. Long and skinny.

Cons are more grey body. Much taller bodied. Get at least 4" when mature.

For the diehard collector I cant guarantee she is pure. Offspring should be great looking.

I do have some comfirmed HRP x Con hybrids also. The 2" male that is growing out is getting quite red fins and tail already like his father. Not as blue though.

....Bill

MonteSS

Members
hrpfemale2.jpg

hrpfemale.jpg

...Bill

Plenipotentiary-at-large
Nics rock...

Bill (or is it William of Orange? -as in Nics) -

I think the reason you're getting so little response is that seven other club members in addition to myself took some of the brood you shipped us a couple months back. Two of the males I kept are at least 4 inches long already and beginning to show some real orange color. Not sure I have another species as able to gorge to an equal degree unless its the Egyptian mouthbrooders. The Nics would be perpetually distended if I indulged their appetites.

Anyway, they're jamming, thanks again.

MonteSS

Members
I am guessing about 30 Nics and 50+ HRP. No emergency to get rid of them. Just thought I would start offering them early. And as said the Nics grow fast.

Thanks again...Bill

Hawkman2000

Members
I'm not trying to be rude or anything, but aren't HPR females supposed to have red spots on their bellies. From what I have read, that is one of the distinguishing caractaristics, and those spots don't fade to much. Also, The dorsal fin is supposed to have a reflective, pastel like appearance. One more thing, HPRs' have relativly small batches of fry.

MonteSS

Members
Actually most HRP females do not have orange bellies like Cons do.

She had about 60 fry which is small for a mature female.

Body type is most distinguishing feature. Cons are short length and tall bodied. HRP are longer and skinnier.

Her fins are all blue and translucent. Her body is all powder blue, not gray like a Con.

She was not aggresive at all.

That is all the proof I have without a collection point. Very hard to determine LFS fish lineage.

Also I dont use a flash. Most people do and it shows inaccurate images. Here is another I found of her.
Picture478s.jpg

And here is a shot of her with a flash that probably shows more like what you are used to.
Picture661.jpg

I guarantee the babies will grow to be amazing looking.

.....Bill

Last edited:

jonclark96

Past CCA President
Bill

I'm interested in some HRP's, but won't have tank space for a few weeks. If you still have any left then, I'll take them.

Jon

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
Beautiful fish, Bill. One of these days when I clear out some Africans, I'm going to have to grab some of those HRPs off of you.

MonteSS

Members
I should have the babies for a while. I know longer have the female so after this no more, except when the babies spawn.

.....Bill

Hawkman2000

Members
True HRP

This is a link to some info about HRP's.

http://fish4thought.wordpress.com/2...-cryptoheros-sp-honduran-red-point-rio-danli/

You will notice in the pic. of the female that she has the orange spots on her belly and he dorsal fin is multi colored.

Females can be distinguished from males as early as 1 month old by these belly spots. I have about 15 of them and the spots are very noticable even though they are only 1 - 2 months old. They already had fry. :D

Heres my CL ad

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/for/2358123502.html

MonteSS

Members
I hate to keep pimping these but they are growing fast.

Nics are about 1.5"

Hrp are about 1.5"
Some larger ones in the 75g sa tank are 2"+ and two pairs are spawning and have fry. They are coloring up real nice

Thanks...Bill

jonclark96

Past CCA President
Bill

Still interested in HRP's and now have the tank space. Tried to PM you but your box is full. Send me a PM to work out details.

Thanks,
Jon