• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Fry gone

jstlstn

Members
So I did a water change on some of my tanks. One of which was a 10 gal grow out with probably 50 dragon-bloods,labs, and Birchardi fry. 5 min later I have 13 fry. Not sure what happened this it the only one that tanked. Lesson no massive water changes on fry tanks only use Seachem for treatments for me from know one. These are the only two things I can think of that would have affect one tank not the others and so quickly. Anybody with any other ideas please chime in. Water out of my tap is well within parameters.

chriscoli

Administrator
So sorry! I've had mysterious fry losses before, but assumed that It was a very sudden change in water parameters or temperature (I was having a issue for a while where the tap water would suddenly go scalding hot...not good). They usually got the spins before dropping.

That being said, I regularly do large waterchanges without problem.

dogofwar

CCA Members
50 fish - even fry - in a 10g is a lot and wastes can build up quick. Maybe the large water change shocked them?

Matt

chriscoli

Administrator
I was thinking the same thing, too, when I had let a fry tank go too long and suffered losses. I was wondering if maybe the pH had dropped and when I did the water change, they couldn't handle the extreme change.

dogofwar

CCA Members
Yes - and when fry grow into juvies, the bio load goes way up.

As safeguards, those kinds of tanks are perfect for a sprig or 3 of Pothos (and a chunk of Polyfilter).

Matt

I was thinking the same thing, too, when I had let a fry tank go too long and suffered losses. I was wondering if maybe the pH had dropped and when I did the water change, they couldn't handle the extreme change.