• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Frontosa Opinions

Lcasanova

CCA Members
Hi everyone. I hope this post is easy to understand as I try to describe what I was thinking/what my questions are. Here goes nothing...

1. Have a really nice Frontosa (Pic. 1 ) maybe 3.5-4 inches. Really want to try breeding. Been looking for a female.

2. Go to HOT today and they have a tank full of I would say 5-6 inch that are all looking great. I almost walked past when I saw they were $100 but then something caught my eye. Could it be? Could some of these have egg tubes down...(Pic 2.)

3. Look up Frontosa with egg tube down and come across a thread on Cichlid Forums with a picture that looks EXACTLY like this (Pic 2 and 3.) Get super excited and buy it...get yelled at by gf.

4. Get "her" home...we'll call her.. her for now and I let her chill for a few hours in a 40 breeder...then...add in my guy.

5. So now they are getting to know each other...it goes back and forth between agressive biting then just hanging out together (Pic 4.) From chillin to If I see you on my side of the tank it's on. They are both definitely interested in each others....parts...

Did I do this completely wrong and am gonna end up with 1 floating when I wake up or what...is there a special method for introducing Frontosa to potential mates? If wanting to breed is your only option to buy 8 and put them all in together and see what happens? I don't really have the resources for that so trying to do what I can. Any opinions would be great. I'll put some pics below.

IMG_20200328_224328.jpg

IMG_20200328_224205.jpg

MVIMG_20200328_224235.jpg

received_255148765650968.jpeg

Reed

Very Fishe
Looks like you have a few more years before they will breed. They are both a bit small. Front s take about 3 years + to mature and start breeding.

Lcasanova

CCA Members
Wow ..ok...I thought an egg tube down meant they were ready to mate. Can you tell from the pictures if that really is an egg tube even? HOT said they didn't think so but it looked exactly like the post on Cichlid Forums

Reed

Very Fishe
Wow ..ok...I thought an egg tube down meant they were ready to mate. Can you tell from the pictures if that really is an egg tube even? HOT said they didn't think so but it looked exactly like the post on Cichlid Forums
Can't tell, don't know what that is . you may get lucky and the will breed.

Tangcollector

Staff member
I agree with Reed, I think they are too small. But you never know. They do much better in colonies. Also I thing that 40 gallon tank is way too small. They are going to get a lot bigger. Good Luck

Freakgecko

Members
The other thing to think about is that you’re trying to breed two frontosa without collection points. Areas around the lake have pretty drastically different color morphs depending on where they’re found (Burundi, mpimbwe, etc.). More than likely these are a Burundi variant or a mix of collection points, but not certainly. Collection points that are carefully bred typically will sell much better and for more than a generic “frontosa”

Lcasanova

CCA Members
I agree with Reed, I think they are too small. But you never know. They do much better in colonies. Also I thing that 40 gallon tank is way too small. They are going to get a lot bigger. Good Luck

Thank you... I have a 125 mbuna, peacock, Tang, everything tank. Do you feel like they would be ok in there for a while? Mine came out of there and was doing really well just not sure they both will do well. Once they are too big I know they'll have to be moved just trying to fix this now. I isolated them thinking she was ready to go, but neither of them are happy today.