• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

FishMeds

Plenipotentiary-at-large
Melaflix/Pimaflix/salt

Better yet is to maintain good (over) filtration and do regular water changes and you may not ever need any meds. I keep malachite green on hand for ich but it's two years now without any need . Melaflix/Pimaflix are good for a host of minor maladies - abrasions, fungus, pop-eye fin rot, etc., but again except for the occasional combat or rough-housing injury, most of these ailments begin with/stem from poor water quality.

Just assume that like human habitats, fish tanks are filled with pathogens waiting for an opening - healthy fish with robust immune systems don't generally get sick, so if they eat well, the water is clean and they're not stressed you shouldn't expect problems.

Plenipotentiary-at-large
Depends, maybe, probably...

Depends on how many fish you have, how often you feed, how often you do water changes, etc. It sure won't hurt anything to run both and as a rule I (and many others) run at least two filters on everything over 20 gallons to guard against equipment failure/malfunction, even if the second is just a sponge filter with an air stone.

Should get or make yourself a foam pre-filter(s) for those things if you don't have them already - will boost your filtrartion capacity and keep garbage out of the filter. Also recommend you rinse but do not replace the cartridges until they're destroyed as their primary functionality arises from hosting lots of good denitrifying bacteria, not from "purifying" the water because of a couple tablespoons of quickly exhausted carbon.

ezrk

Members
Metronidazole. We buy the 500g pure Metro container (and be sure to get a scale that reads 0.1g increments.

Metro is IMO the number one goto for bloat. It won't hurt your filters, won't hurt healthy fish and is virtually impossible to overdose. It can't in our experience bring back seriously ill fish, it is not clear anything actually can. It generally will help fish in the early stages and we find it certainly stops the bloat from spreading.

Epsom salt is another good one to have around, although given that it is available at your local 24 hour pharmacy it isn't that big an issue. OTOH once you buy the giant 5lb sack once you are pretty much stuck with it...

Rasta Fish

Members
I love having this on hand Jungle Parasite Clear
works really well, i buy the 100 tab pack
Been looking for it recently but i cant find it in any stores seems like they stop making it?
I hope not

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
Pimafix, melafix (make your own with tea tree oil), Metro and Prazipro.

Hawkman2000

Members
Extra strength Melafix For Cichlids and Pimafix.

Go the either PetMointain.com or BigAlsOnline.com for supplies.

I would also recommend getting a different filter. I have never owned a whisper, but from what I understand, they have not permanent biological media.