• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Fish Tank Kings vs. Tanked

Fish Tank Kings vs. Tanked. Which one is your favorite?

• Fish Tank Kings

Votes: 8 28.6%
  • Tanked

Votes: 16 57.1%
  • Never seen either of the shows.

Votes: 4 14.3%

• Total voters

MarkK

CCA Members
Storage wars is fake a lot.

Tony
Thats an awesome show, seeing some of those cars get resurrected. Counting Cars is another good one. Although I must admit to being quasi addicted to the Storage Wars shows, more to see the amazing stuff they find rather than the show itself.

Problems with Storage Wars is that they pay way too much for those rooms, the actual average price is $300 nationwide and the other problem is the producers plant expensive items in the storage rooms in order to create drama and make it seem like the high cost of the room was worth it.

There a laws that govern how long a storage room has to be in behind in payment before it is auctioned. Then, any amount paid for the room above the outstanding rent has to be refunded to the person that had rented the room.

Owens

Members
Problems with Storage Wars is that they pay way too much for those rooms, the actual average price is $300 nationwide and the other problem is the producers plant expensive items in the storage rooms in order to create drama and make it seem like the high cost of the room was worth it.

There a laws that govern how long a storage room has to be in behind in payment before it is auctioned. Then, any amount paid for the room above the outstanding rent has to be refunded to the person that had rented the room.

This ruined the show for me. I couldn't believe when that came out.

Sent from my VS840 4G using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Jefft

Members
but then......

To me, anything that puts our hobby in front of people's eyes is a good thing.

I would agree if it was putting our hobby in the correct and proper light. Both shows focus more on saltwater side of things but manufactured fake reefs touted as acceptable practice? 180 Haps in a 180 gallon tank in an elementary school. No proper cover or natural habitat?

Sure gaining the interest of folks is a good thing but gaining it in a way that is incorrect, harmful to the fish that will be kept, perpetrating fallacies which will in the end kill the fish fans of these shows are inspired to buy. I think in the long run they are more detrimental than good.

Teach the wrong way the wrong things as foundations of a hobby and ultimately you destroy not grow. Can't build a house on a pitchy foundation. Can't keep a healthy tank and healthy fish with abusive methods taught by those shows. I see what you are saying, and I would agree IF they were teaching it correctly. That said however, I will have to disagree and say these shows do more damage than good.

Last edited:

JasonC

Members
curious as to how manufactured resin reefs are unacceptable? I thught fish-only tanks were a common and accepted practice in salt?

Sent from my SCH-I405 using MonsterAquariaNetwork

CichlidOWNR

Members
Despite the fact of improper amount/mix of stocking fish and fake coral inserts, these shows gets the kids attention. Watching Tanked with my kids is the exact genesis of my wife and I getting into the hobby. At this point it is up to the adults to learn the acceptable way to build and maintain their tanks which my wife and I have done. No TV show from any channel should be the end all be all. These shows are entertainment only and the learning comes afterwards. Wish more people took this view instead of believing everything they see on TV as absolute.

This may be a repeat of what has been said previously and I do enjoy seeing the tank reveals at the end of the show. To answer the original question, I prefer Tanked out of the two shows.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

dogofwar

CCA Members
I think that these shows (like Finding Nemo) encourage interest in fishkeeping. What's needed is an accessible and credible source of information / guidance for people interested in getting into fish tanks.

That used to be LFS. Now they've largely been replaced by big box stores, which by and large aren't a good source of information.

There are online communities of varying quality. I actually think that ours is one of the best. But how do folks find it and get the nerve to ask questions?

For our area, should our club aspire to this role?

AquaMania was the first fish event that I've attended since the late-80s (when events were routinely held in malls and other public places) that really brought in the general public (i.e. not people already involved in fish clubs) and I'm proud of that.

It didn't happen on its own: To get folks through the door, it took a convenient location, earned media (Gazette article, WaPo event listing), blanketing Craigslist and LFS with advertising, a juicy promotion (Give a Kid a Tank Contest) and promises of a display of breathtaking beauty. Although a few folks were excited about helping in this area, a lot of begging for volunteers ultimately resulted in very little. Staffing of the Welcome Table in the lobby was spotty at best and many visitors didn't receive info on the club, event, etc. as a result.

Are folks interested in the club taking on more of a role in interacting with the public and serving as ambassadors for the hobby in our area?

Are folks willing to step up and help?

What are some ways that we could accomplish this?

Matt

I would agree if it was putting our hobby in the correct and proper light. Both shows focus more on saltwater side of things but manufactured fake reefs touted as acceptable practice? 180 Haps in a 180 gallon tank in an elementary school. No proper cover or natural habitat?

Sure gaining the interest of folks is a good thing but gaining it in a way that is incorrect, harmful to the fish that will be kept, perpetrating fallacies which will in the end kill the fish fans of these shows are inspired to buy. I think in the long run they are more detrimental than good.

Teach the wrong way the wrong things as foundations of a hobby and ultimately you destroy not grow. Can't build a house on a pitchy foundation. Can't keep a healthy tank and healthy fish with abusive methods taught by those shows. I see what you are saying, and I would agree IF they were teaching it correctly. That said however, I will have to disagree and say these shows do more damage than good.

Last edited:

dogofwar

CCA Members
I'd much prefer to see fake coral than coral pulled from our dying reefs...

Matt

curious as to how manufactured resin reefs are unacceptable? I thught fish-only tanks were a common and accepted practice in salt?

Sent from my SCH-I405 using MonsterAquariaNetwork

I'd much prefer to see fake coral than coral pulled from dying reefs...

Matt

Interesting that you mention this Matt, because I happened to watch an episode of FTKs yesterday and there was a client who was looking for a specific coral and the guys at FTKs made a replica of the coral and they talked about using this fake coral to preserve the suffering coral reefs.

Also, another episode of FTKs showed one of the really large Malawi cichlid farms in FL which I was actually impressed with.

Arlene

londonloco

Members
Personally, I watch both, prefer Tanked, as I think it has a little less manufactured drama. I was also raised in NJ, so Wade and Brett remind me of my younger years.

This debate has been on many forums since Tanked premiered. Last year, the forums were a buzz with talk of proper set up, cycling, etc. I've read after the show is filmed they go back in, remove the fish and cycle the tanks. I'm sure something like that is done, as both shows wouldn't have much of a business if they set up the tanks, and let the fish die. In any event, the show is for entertainment, not sure how much educational value is considered by either show.

Manufactured resin reefs are NOT unacceptable, fish-only tanks (FO or FOWLR) are VERY common and VERY accepted practice in the salt water world. There is a big push in the reef world to use dry live rock now, mined from underground caverns, or manufactured live rock, which is dry rock put into the ocean and "cooked" until it's live, to save our natural reefs resources. Some also use fish safe material and make their own rock.

As far as who I'd rather party with, def Danny of Counting Cars. I mean, he's adorable...duh :lol:

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
I've read after the show is filmed they go back in, remove the fish and cycle the tanks. I'm sure something like that is done, as both shows wouldn't have much of a business if they set up the tanks, and let the fish die.

A good friend of mine has the contract for the install at the Annapolis Mall that Tanked did. He was actually in that episode helping the install. He was informed that he was to remove a certain percentage of fish (and told which fish to move) and given a deadline to do so. ATM does not return after install unless there is a design flaw with the tank. Otherwise, the contract is handed off to a local maintenance person/company in agreement with all parties.

ATM does use Nutri-water as well as live sand, which helps the tank "cycle" quickly.

neut

Members
I don't like either one, they're both disappointing imo, for similar reasons as above. Too much about the personalities, businesses, and petty melodramas of the people involved (none of whom I particularly like), little to almost nothing about the actual fish and little to no how-to. Too much cytt (can you top this) about the tanks, including the fake-o looking corals, rather than more natural looking environments. To me they're too much like most of the other similar, superficial reality shows on TV-- take your generic reality trade show, insert building/installing fish tanks in place of remodeling kitchens, landscaping yards, etc., put it on TV... yawn...

mrkillie

Members
Problems with Storage Wars ....... the other problem is the producers plant expensive items in the storage rooms in order to create drama and make it seem like the high cost of the room was worth it.QUOTE]

This was alleged, but never proven. In fact, Dave Hester lost the lawsuit he filed and was ordered to pay Storage Wars their legal fees, $122,000+.

Anyway, I'm with Pat...if it gets attention to the hobby, it is a good thing. I watch both shows and like both for different reasons.