• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Fish for the 150

Becca

Members
I love pearlscale angels. I don't generally like angels, but they are really cool looking!

Jeremy wants pigeon bloods. Wait 'til I tell him he should get 10 of them... LOL!!!!

I think you would have so much fun with a planted tank!

In my opinion (and bias), I would love to see several large schools of small schooling fish. It would make a nice impact to see the schools move across the tanks. If you got schools of small fish with different colours, you can only imagine the rainbow patches of moving as clouds back and forth in the tank.

You're so lucky to have a very large empty tank to work with! I'm jealous!

Arlene

dogofwar

CCA Members
Thought about fish from Madagascar? A school of Paretroplus maculatus (google it) is hard to beat... and round-ish like discus!

Matt

I'm with Arlene -- plant that puppy! Some big swords along the back or maybe vals.

A big school of lemon tetras would be beautiful. And maybe a complimentary school of something like bleeding hearts or von rios.

Then your rainbows and maybe a few other mid-sized, but mild New Worlds. I'm on a serious keyhole love fest. I'm crazy about mine.

I would not do apistos. I think they'd get lost in such a large tank.

Forester

Members
I have lots of swords I can sell you for cheap.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Forester

Members
Lots of 8 inch ones a few bigger ones.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Becca

Members
So, Jeremy wants the following:
8-10 Pigeon Blood Discus
A school of Glass Cats
A small school of Flying Foxes

Now, neither of us are "purists." In fact, I decided my 6 gallon was way overcrowded and just stuck my eye spot gouramis, Amano shrimp, and white clouds in the the 29 with my South American community crew... but...

I guess I can see the glass cats (or not... get it?) but the flying foxes seem super iffy to me.

neut

Members
I've seen more than one fish called flying fox (they're similar looking, especially when small). At least two of them are pretty dicey for discus ime. One is related to rainbow sharks and red tailed black sharks and, like them, they can be peaceful when small but get more aggressive with size ime. If it's a siamese algae eater (sometimes mistaken for flying fox), these also tend to be peaceful when small but get more aggressive with size ime, and I've had them try to eat the slime coat of discus. I've seen someone occasionally say they had flying foxes (or Siamese algae eaters) with discus without a problem-- imo either they probably were still small at the time or maybe they just got the odd one that happened to work. I mean, I once saw a green terror kept with discus and they seemed to get along, but I wouldn't exactly recommend it. But most people I know of who've tried flying foxes and discus say more or less the same as what I've experienced.

There's another one, sometimes called false flying fox or stone lapping minnow. Don't know about behavioral compatibility with these and discus, but they like cool water according to profiles I've read.

Becca

Members
I've seen more than one fish called flying fox (they're similar looking, especially when small). At least two of them are pretty dicey for discus ime. One is related to rainbow sharks and red tailed black sharks and, like them, they can be peaceful when small but get more aggressive with size ime. If it's a siamese algae eater (sometimes mistaken for flying fox), these also tend to be peaceful when small but get more aggressive with size ime, and I've had them try to eat the slime coat of discus. I've seen someone occasionally say they had flying foxes (or Siamese algae eaters) with discus without a problem-- imo either they probably were still small at the time or maybe they just got the odd one that happened to work. I mean, I once saw a green terror kept with discus and they seemed to get along, but I wouldn't exactly recommend it. But most people I know of who've tried flying foxes and discus say more or less the same as what I've experienced.

There's another one, sometimes called false flying fox or stone lapping minnow. Don't know about behavioral compatibility with these and discus, but they like cool water according to profiles I've read.

Yeah - the siamese flying fox is a schooling, fast moving, algae eater that can be nippy and pushy. I keep telling my husband it is a bad mix with Discus... He likes them because he had one for years with his piranhas (long story about how it got in that tank). They are great for eating hair algae, but so are the Rainbow Cichlids.

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
Don't remember the species name, but had a "Siamese algae eater" (the one with the lateral stripe that goes all the way down to the notch in the caudal fin) in my 45 for a long time to take care of black algae. Introduced the discus and it constantly harassed them. Not sure how they stack up aggression-wise with flying foxes, but just make sure you don't get those guys.

Becca

Members
The Siamese algae eater and Flying Fox/Siamese Flying Fox look similar but are different. Of course, both are total jerks (very barb-like in behavior) to slower tank mates. I have kept flying foxes in a 30 long with more benign community fish before (Chocolate Gouramis and some deformed reject Discus that I begged off a breeder's cull because they were so cute), but it's probably not ideal for anyone involved. Flying Foxes are sort of like the jerk dog at the dog park - you know, the one who keeps running head first into all the other dogs then running away.