• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Fish availability

WhoendedMaz

CCA Members
Hey all,

Are there any stores online or in the DC area that carry more rare fish species that aren't just assorted Mollies and guppies? I'm looking to stock up my new fish room and it's been a bit rough finding species.

Thanks,
Simon

FishEggs

what type of fishes are you looking for?
have you been to House of Tropicals in glen burnie?
there's Londontowne Tropicals out near annapolis.
Tropical Lagoon in silver spring.
Aquatic Creations in ijamsville
Congressional Aquarium in rockville.
Thats all i can think of off the top of my head.

Lots of members here breeding different and rare species. post up what you're looking for and people will respond.

Last edited:

WhoendedMaz

CCA Members
I've been to House of Tropicals, Tropical Lagoon and Congressional Aquarium. I'll try the other ones you guys suggested, I appreciate the help.

I'm looking for more of a mixed bag, not just cichlids, but I'll put a list below:
Thorichthys pasionis
Archocentrus nanolutea (though might be cryptoheros)
Apisto sp. "abacaxis"
Apisto baenschi (I believe I've seen them for sale here)
apisto trifasciata females (I have two males)
Laetacara araguaia "buckelkopf"

Hemigrammus sp. "morse code"
Betta macrostoma
Xiphophorus. helleri 'rio otapa' or otherwise a green wild swordtail

Acara19

CCA Members
I've been to House of Tropicals, Tropical Lagoon and Congressional Aquarium. I'll try the other ones you guys suggested, I appreciate the help.

I'm looking for more of a mixed bag, not just cichlids, but I'll put a list below:
Thorichthys pasionis
Archocentrus nanolutea (though might be cryptoheros)
Apisto sp. "abacaxis"
Apisto baenschi (I believe I've seen them for sale here)
apisto trifasciata females (I have two males)
Laetacara araguaia "buckelkopf"

Hemigrammus sp. "morse code"
Betta macrostoma
Xiphophorus. helleri 'rio otapa' or otherwise a green wild swordtail
Aquatic clarity, blackwater aquatics, wetspot, tangled up in cichlids, cichlids of the americas, Dave's rare fish, and aquabid are all good places to look for online shopping.
Currently noone has nanolutea, thought the first ones to get them in may be COTA or wetspot, as cota has a colony of wild caught individuals, and wetspot usually gets tank strain ones in pretty frequently.
Macrostoma and otapa helleri you will have luck with on aquabid.
Apistos, laetacara and tetras you will also want to look on wetspot for.
As for t. pasionis, tuic had them pretty recently but I am not sure when he's getting them back in.
Also, nanolutea is currently in amatitlania, archocentrus was reorganized awhile ago and now only consists of centrarchus. Amatitlania consists of nigrofasciata, kanna, septemfasciata, myrnae, nanolutea, altoflava, and sajica, while cryptoheros consists of cutteri, spilurus and chetumalensis. Siquia and Honduran red points were proven to be genetically the same as and thus synonymous with nigrofasciata, and chetumalensis is up for review as to whether or not it is a spilurus locale. Panamensis got flipped from hypsophrys or neetroplus or something to cryptoheros, and finally put into its own genus, panamius. Hypsophrys now only consists of nicaraguensis, as nematopus also got its own genus, neetroplus.
I wish you luck finding everything. I believe wetspot happens to have the apistos and laetacara you're looking for, and aquabid always has someone with otapa helleri and macrostoma. Look out for rosaquatics or anyone with the same email as them on aquabid though, as they are a scam.
House of tropicals also has a very large supply of normal green swordtails and wild type mollies if you are interested.

Kevin@TUIC

CCA Members
Aquatic clarity, blackwater aquatics, wetspot, tangled up in cichlids, cichlids of the americas, Dave's rare fish, and aquabid are all good places to look for online shopping.
Currently noone has nanolutea, thought the first ones to get them in may be COTA or wetspot, as cota has a colony of wild caught individuals, and wetspot usually gets tank strain ones in pretty frequently.
Macrostoma and otapa helleri you will have luck with on aquabid.
Apistos, laetacara and tetras you will also want to look on wetspot for.
As for t. pasionis, tuic had them pretty recently but I am not sure when he's getting them back in.
Also, nanolutea is currently in amatitlania, archocentrus was reorganized awhile ago and now only consists of centrarchus. Amatitlania consists of nigrofasciata, kanna, septemfasciata, myrnae, nanolutea, altoflava, and sajica, while cryptoheros consists of cutteri, spilurus and chetumalensis. Siquia and Honduran red points were proven to be genetically the same as and thus synonymous with nigrofasciata, and chetumalensis is up for review as to whether or not it is a spilurus locale. Panamensis got flipped from hypsophrys or neetroplus or something to cryptoheros, and finally put into its own genus, panamius. Hypsophrys now only consists of nicaraguensis, as nematopus also got its own genus, neetroplus.
I wish you luck finding everything. I believe wetspot happens to have the apistos and laetacara you're looking for, and aquabid always has someone with otapa helleri and macrostoma. Look out for rosaquatics or anyone with the same email as them on aquabid though, as they are a scam.
House of tropicals also has a very large supply of normal green swordtails and wild type mollies if you are interested.

have nanolutea on this weeks list. unfortunately though, they sold out within hours. I breed them in house so they are usually available ever 2-3 months ;)