• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Fish acting weird

AJH

CCA Members
This fish for the last week has been hanging out in a plant and doesn’t come out much. It is eating fine and before it never hid and nothing has changed as far as tank mates or anything. I’m not sure what is going on at all. Does anyone have an idea of what might be going on? Any thoughts are very much appreciated.

A0549F0D-D9B9-4C89-A4D7-E6696E04DACD.jpeg

B0C7EEDE-8746-4AF8-B5A2-FB1406B337F2.jpeg

AJH

CCA Members
So the reason this fish has been acting weird is she is holding and I can see little eye balls in there. So we will see how it goes.

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
Do you have Red Zebra males in the tank, or is it a mixed tank? Red zebras are one of the mbuna that males and females are almost identical, and females can even have egg spots as shown in the picture.

AJH

CCA Members
Do you have Red Zebra males in the tank, or is it a mixed tank? Red zebras are one of the mbuna that males and females are almost identical, and females can even have egg spots as shown in the picture.
I have a second Red Zebra but I’m not sure if it is a male or not. It is a lighter red.

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
Impossible to tell who might have bred with her then. Usually the males are brighter, but it can depend on genetics and their hierarchy in the tank, but in a mixed tank usually the dominant male gets breeding rights. Are you planning on keeping the fry?

AJH

CCA Members
Impossible to tell who might have bred with her then. Usually the males are brighter, but it can depend on genetics and their hierarchy in the tank, but in a mixed tank usually the dominant male gets breeding rights. Are you planning on keeping the fry?
I would like to try and keep them. It will be my first time so hopefully a couple can survive as I learn. 😳

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
I would like to try and keep them. It will be my first time so hopefully a couple can survive as I learn. 😳
Just FYI that they wouldn't likely survive if released in a community tank. You'd want to pull out the holding female and either isolate her in an empty tank, or strip her and put her back in. Fry should hatch in around 14 days, so if you too early, you'll get eggs. Keeping some fry is no problem and can be fun, but if you ever pass them on to someone else, it's worth clarifying they're mystery mbuna, even if they look like a certain type.

AJH

CCA Members
Just FYI that they wouldn't likely survive if released in a community tank. You'd want to pull out the holding female and either isolate her in an empty tank, or strip her and put her back in. Fry should hatch in around 14 days, so if you too early, you'll get eggs. Keeping some fry is no problem and can be fun, but if you ever pass them on to someone else, it's worth clarifying they're mystery mbuna, even if they look like a certain type.
Ok, thank you. I appreciate the advice. If I do pass any on I would definitely let the person know they are a mystery mbuna. But I am interested to see what I get. I have a hunch who the dad is but he is not the dominate one in the tank so I may be wrong.

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
Cool, looks like the female might be far enough along to release, her mouth has definitely gotten bigger. Not sure if you're a genetic person, but even if the albino is the dad, the babies will come out looking normal, unless its carrying an albino gene, but thats highly unlikely. Looking forward to see what comes out.