• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Filtration

Sonny Disposition

If Hans can't do it, there are on line suppliers who might be able to help.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Michael @ Dec 10 2008, 10:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
We should check to see if Hans is willing to do a club group order at or near cost if we purchase in bulk - many full sheets, etc. Since I plan to run PVAS' group orders next year we could leverage the quantity by CCA and PVAS going together on the order.[/b]

longstocking

Members
I have some of this material in my sump. It's been there for years ( about 4 years ). I got it through Bill.... but he doesn't remember where he got it.

I can tell you it's the most balanced tank I've ever had.... but the growth rate is the same for me in this tank as the tanks with sponge filters.

Where the advantage lies is being able to use it as a divider. I'm considering it only for that reason.

Bob, in the past year I have started to use potho's as well.... I love them, and it's starting to make my fish room look nicer.

longstocking

Members
golden_pothos.jpg

I'm sure you probably have one or had one in the past :)

Just cut a stem and stick the end into a tank and watch it grow :)

animicrazy

Members
looks like the philodendron I use in many tanks - great for spawning of some fish and less water changes are needed; always the tanks with plants are the easiest to maintain: For me.

Paul

Sonny Disposition

The thinking behind it all is that if the roots grow below water, and the leaves above water, the plants will be able to take advantage of carbon in the air, which is more numerous than carbon in the water. As a result, their metabolisms speed up, and they rapidly take up the ammonia the fish produce--faster than would plants that are completely submerged.

In contrast, filter bacteria convert ammonia to other nitrogen based compounds (nitrate and nitrite, I think) which are less toxic to fish, but which still need to be removed.

That's not to say that you still don't need bacterial filtration when you have plant roots in your tank. Or that the European foam filter isn't a good idea. Since it's a little pricey, though, I'm going to wait back for a report from Pat.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (animicrazy @ Dec 13 2008, 12:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
looks like the philodendron I use in many tanks - great for spawning of some fish and less water changes are needed; always the tanks with plants are the easiest to maintain: For me.

Paul[/b]

RIFT_LAKES_RULE

Member of the Darkside Tang's Rule!
If you can work up a deal for a discount if we all go in together and buy a bunch, let me know. I'd like to get some too. Thanks

maddog10

Members
I hope to have my new rack (8 x 40Longs) up and running next week. I am going to only use this filter material on that rack, for a long term test.

Sonny Disposition

I just thought of another use for the material. It would be expensive, but if it works, it would be worth it. Instead of walling off one side panel of the aquarium, you could cut a huge piece, the length and width of the back glass. I'm guessing you wouldn't need too much space behind it--just an inch or so. Then tie some java moss along the length of the bottom, and let it slowly grow to the top.

This would give you a java moss background that's not only decorative, but functional. As the current moves through it, the Java moss would absorb the NH4. Bacteria in the filter material would take care of any N03 resulting from the NH4 that the Java moss might have missed.

Anyway, good luck.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (maddog10 @ Jan 3 2009, 03:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I hope to have my new rack (8 x 40Longs) up and running next week. I am going to only use this filter material on that rack, for a long term test.[/b]

maddog10

Members
Yes it would be expensive! The material comes in blue and black, comes with fine or coarse pores, comes in sheets 39"x39"x2" ($100) or 39"x39"x4" ($200). If you have drilled tanks, they also have foam squares that go over the bulkhead overflow screen (really cool idea).

Some people are already doing the java moss wall for extra filtration.

Sonny Disposition

I guess Frank would need to think it over carefully before he uses it as a background for his 180 gallon tank.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (maddog10 @ Jan 4 2009, 11:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Yes it would be expensive! The material comes in blue and black, comes with fine or coarse pores, comes in sheets 39"x39"x2" ($100) or 39"x39"x4" ($200). If you have drilled tanks, they also have foam squares that go over the bulkhead overflow screen (really cool idea).

Some people are already doing the java moss wall for extra filtration.[/b]

kaj41354

Members
I was told and saw pics of some of these filters that were used in larger tank but in the corners. I think Stephan has pictures of that application on his website. Also many people in Europe have "sewn" moss into the foam and it makes a beutifull moss wall and as Mike said it aids the filtration process. Also Mike thos cubes can be used to replace the filter sponge on Hydros (hole is the same size.

tash

Members
I have some Epipremnum pinnatum 'Marble Queen' (aka marble queen pothos) cuttings starting to root right now. I can't use them in my tank because my husband thinks it looks tacky :lol: but they are also labled by NASA as being one of the top indoor air purifing plants (along with Chlorophytum comosum aka spider plant which I also have babies of).

here are some cuttings a few weeks ago right after I took them. It is called "marble queen" because it is green and white varigated (depending on the light, less light will make it produce all green leaves). the "golden" variety is yellow and green varigated.
IMG_2620es.jpg

dogofwar

CCA Members
How low a light can the spider plant tolerate? Will overhead flourescent do? The man cave is dimly lit :)

Sonny Disposition

Excuse me. I meant to say "Pat," not "Frank." I knew a Frank Kelly once, and, as many of you know, I am fairly easy to confuse.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sonny Disposition @ Jan 4 2009, 12:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I guess Frank would need to think it over carefully before he uses it as a background for his 180 gallon tank.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (maddog10 @ Jan 4 2009, 11:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Some people are already doing the java moss wall for extra filtration.[/b]
[/b][/quote]

Sonny Disposition

You've got a window in your basement fish room, right? Put it in the tanks nearest the window. (That's what I did with the Pothos.)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dogofwar @ Jan 4 2009, 09:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
How low a light can the spider plant tolerate? Will overhead flourescent do? The man cave is dimly lit :)[/b]

dogofwar

CCA Members
Hi Bob,

No window :) Just a couple of dangling lights!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sonny Disposition @ Jan 5 2009, 11:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
You've got a window in your basement fish room, right? Put it in the tanks nearest the window. (That's what I did with the Pothos.)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dogofwar @ Jan 4 2009, 09:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
How low a light can the spider plant tolerate? Will overhead flourescent do? The man cave is dimly lit :)[/b]
[/b][/quote]

Sonny Disposition

They're really have a low light requirement. People grow them in offices lit by overhead flourescents all the time.

If you can put it a tank under the fixture, then it still might grow, provided you leave the light on 8 or more hours a day.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dogofwar @ Jan 5 2009, 12:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Hi Bob,

No window :) Just a couple of dangling lights!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sonny Disposition @ Jan 5 2009, 11:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dogofwar @ Jan 4 2009, 09:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
[/b][/quote]
[/b][/quote]