• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Filtration

dogofwar

CCA Members
I'm all for overfiltration but I can assure you that when I was a teenager, I wasn't able to afford the equivalent of all of what many folks are recommending on here for my tanks. I used a big HOB and air-driven boxes and sponges. And it worked great. The fish will be happy and spawn if he does 50% weekly water changes of 75%. Or alternates. It's better care than 99.9% of aquarium fish receive, either way!

Part of keeping fish is learning and experimenting. A 125g tank is big enough for just about any mbuna - peaceful ones and aggressive ones (and a 29g tank is too small for almost all of them). There are some fish to stay away from...but there are plenty of good choices.

Anyway, sometimes too much advice is as unhelpful as too little. In a perfect world it would always be great to have a bigger tank, more filtration, the ideal species mix, etc.

Good luck Zack on getting your tank, setting it up and stocking it!

Matt

zackcrack00

Members
Last questions: Is this okay for an Fx5 filter's media:
Top can thingy: Fluval zerocarb mix or carbon
Middle can Thingy: Carbon
Bottome Can thingy: Polishing pads on top of Biomax rings?

Do I have to completely fill the can thingys to the top? or just a layer or two??? I am super confused about this filter. I usually buy filters that take just cartrides.

jonclark96

Past CCA President
Please don't try to fill up an FX5 with activated carbon. Carbon just isn't necessary on a regular basis. Any bio media will work well.

But again, Matt has given some good advice. You could absolutely filter the tank with multiple sponges, box filters, and heavy waterchanges.

zackcrack00

Members
I will use the polishing pads, ammonia remover, bio rings, and MAYBE carbon. I read that carbon is a good cleaner. That's what I have in my 29, anyway... just a regular carbon filter cartridge.

ddavila06

Members
Please don't try to fill up an FX5 with activated carbon. Carbon just isn't necessary on a regular basis. Any bio media will work well..

i agree with this in so many levels. carbon is not "necessary" but can come handy too. out of my two tanks (now down to one due to resent leak) i have fluval canister filters with ceramic things and lava rock and sponges that i clean about twice a year or when the flow is super low. each has a prefilter (aka piece of sponge in the intake to avoid sucking large pieces in).

i have not touched carbon in like forever but should keep some handy in extreme cases of disease or crap in the water. carbonn absorbs quickly and can help save fish. ssssso..put some if desired but keep some handy.
simplify ur life...

jonclark96

Past CCA President
Zack - Just my opinion, so take it for what it is worth. In any filter, and especially canisters, the ammonia remover, polishing pads, and carbon are not necessary. They are things that have a very short effective life and need to be replaced often (hence why the filter manufacturers say you need them - the more you use, the more they sell). I have 16 tanks running right now and I think that most who have seen them will say that I have healthy fish. I don't use any of the three in any of the tanks. In an established tank, you shouldn't have ANY ammonia, so that is an absolute waste. Carbon is effective for removing organics from the water, but if you are doing regular water changes, carbon is a waste on a daily basis. Polish pads will get small particulates out of your water, but clog quickly and need to be rinsed or replaced on a frequent basis. None of the three will hurt your fish, but all will put a dent in your wallet.

Again, this is just my opinion and my experiences. Do what you think is the right thing for you and your tanks. I think that you will find that my thoughts are in line with a majority of the folks in the club who are maintaining multiple tanks.

verbal

CCA Members
I agree with Jon re the filter media.

How important is appearance vs. functionality in this tank? If cost and functionality are the main factors, then a dump filter(search the forum) for them would be a good idea.

If it has to be a little more presentable, multiple big sponges and box filters running off a powerful air pump might be a good idea. Your Fish Stuff has a pump that should meet you needs on clearance. Or you even could start off with multiple used air pumps and consolidate when you have money to upgrade.

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
I agree with Jon as well. I run fluval 405s and fx5s. Each contain only ceramic rings, sponges and filter pads.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

neut

Members
I am setting up a 125 with 30 4" mbuna. It has been suggested that I get 2 Fx5 external canister filter, and 2 125 gallon sponge filters. I don't think my parents or I have enough money for all of that, what are other alternatives? Also, if I do end up getting an Fx5 or two, what else do I need to buy media-wise?
Way, way, more filtration than necessary. 30 4" mbuna in a 125 is not that much. I've seen as many or more than that in a 75 with no problems whatsoever, filtration or otherwise. I believe FX5s are rated up to 400 gal tanks and I know a lot of guys very happy with the job just one of them does on tanks in the 180-240 gal range.

Filtration options are endless. Besides budget, a lot depends on what you fill them with, how often you want to maintain them, how quiet they need to be, etc. I'm an Eheim guy, myself, so it's not like I always go the cheapest route, but (just to name one bang for your buck option) I've got an Aqueon Quietflow power filter (the bigger one that puts out 400 gals per hour, not much more than $40 per filter from the right source) keeping a 75 gal SA tank perfect with poly filter pad (not the expensive Aqueon cartridges) and a little Eheim bio media in it. I guarantee I could keep a 125 in fine shape with two or at most three of them.

Filtration for a tank doesn't have to cost twice as much as the tank.

Reed

Very Fishe
In my Fx5 I have
Top blue filter pads
Middle bio media almost anything works
Bottom plastic pot scrubbers

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

neut

Members
All tanks are not created equal regarding nitrates or a good minimum for water changes. Lot of variables go into it, including what's in your tap water, type and depth of substrate, type of filter media, filter maintenance, plants, algae, biofilm on driftwood, etc. I have a 135 gal tank that stays about 5 nitrates with 30-35% weekly water changes. Have another tank I average 60% weekly. There's no one size fits all formula.