• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Filter switchover - how long to run both?

Scorp1us

Members
I am moving from a HOB to a canister, and I currently have both running. I figure it's a good way to populate the canister with nitrating bacteria. But how long should I run both for before removing the old one? I'm trying to prevent a mini-cycle.

30g / 16 fish (Demasoni +1 pleco)

jonclark96

Past CCA President
I usually run new filters for a week or two before switching over if the new filter had no pre-established media in it.

Any reason not to leave the HOB on the tank long term? I'm always a proponent of over-filtering if possible. You never know when a mechanical failure will hit.

Scorp1us

Members
The HOB is noisy and a gross polluter. I am convinced it is increasing the evaporation rate which is making water noises, in addition to the impeller which is periodically jamming. The new canister filter is much quieter and I can close off the surface of the water to eliminate evap. It's a 60g filter on a 30g tank, I think I'm good.

About the gross polluting: It seems that it's a haven for algae and a sheet or strand it occasionally breaks off and slips into the tank, where it has to be removed. Looks gross.

jonclark96

Past CCA President
I'd be careful about making the surface of your water too "still". Atmospheric gasses get transfered to the water by agitation. With out this, your water may become stagnant. Do you ever notice your fish breathing heavier or near the surface in between the time you drain a tank and refill during a water change? Same theory.

I had the same issues with water noise and evaporation, but ended up just being okay with doing the occasional top off in between weekly water changes. This is really only an issue on the tanks in my bedroom, as the water noises keep me up when I go to bed. Just keeping the tanks full quiets it enought for me. This is on 2 40 breeders, each filtered with 2 AC70's and an air dirven sponge filter with a fine air stone.

Plenipotentiary-at-large
Good practice

Invariably have outflow from canisters at or directed at the surface to roil the water and effect the referenced gas exchange - in addition to helping vector out waste gas also raises O2 levels. Even lakes can become anoxic without enough circulation despite their large surface areas.

Empathize with wanting to retire noisy filters as it's why I exported my Emperor 400s - worked well but sounded like cheap industrial equipment.

Hawkman2000

Members
When I changed out my 350 to a C-4 I just shook the filter media from the old one in the tank and let the new one suck it up. No probs.

Continuously topping off tanks is the simplest and most effective solution for HOB noise in my book.

Plenipotentiary-at-large
Missing a chapter?

Continuously topping off tanks is the simplest and most effective solution for HOB noise in my book.

That only works if the noise is a function of low water levels which is in no way always the case - some filters are just noisy and cannot be silenced unless and until they're unplugged.