• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Female Amphilophus Lyonsi

rich_one

Members
Well, my male lyonsi no longer wants the female around, and seems to be determined to harrass her to death. Don't want that. So, offering her up for trade. And yes, I always prefer to trade, as opposed to sell.

I'd want to trade her for something that could get along with an oscar, lyonsi, female festae and carpintis (vontehillo). She is approx. 5 inches, give or take... eyeballing her. She's not all beat up or anything... just a couple of nipped fins and she's a bit stressed, I'd say. She's really a beauty, and I don't want him to damage her too much, so he's kinda forcing my hand here.

I do have a newly converted, all male Malawi peacock and hap tank, and I may consider something that wows me, that I could put in there as well.

I might even consider a cool non-cichlid fish that could go in one of these two setups. But I'm not interested in any JD, RDs/Midas, or Parachromis of any kind. Aside from the sudden conspecific aggression between these two, everyone is getting along peacefully, and I'd like to keep it that way! LOL...

As for pics, I am notoriously bad at taking them. If you MUST see one, pm me your email address, and I will try to send you the least crappiest one I can take with my cell phone, when I get home this evening.

Thanks for looking.

-Rich

rich_one

Members
LOL... thanks! She's holding her own well enough, but eventually, she'll lose, I'm pretty sure.

Just don't want it to come to that.

-Rich

SubMariner

Master Jedi & Past VP
Why don't you buy some egg crate from Home Depot and create a divider to separate them. You can even cut open a hole big enough for her to travel to the other side and be safe. At least then you can keep her alive until you find the right trading partner.

Just a thought...

rich_one

Members
Yeah... I can temp separate them that way until I can find a trade partner, and to help her out also. I've tried doing that, then pulling it to see if they would reconnect. But man... I HATE the look! LOL... So hopefully somebody is interested soon! Of course, I'd just as soon accept him falling back in love with her again! LOL...

-Rich

rsretep

Members
HEY RICH

I have three Lyonsi (the biggest being almost 12") but i am not sure how to sex them, can you give me any distinctive markings or things to look for that may give me a clue to what sex(s) i may have

Have had these three fish for four years with no apparent breeding...

I talked to Paul Loiselle when he came and spoke to the CCA and he told me that he does not believe that these fish are in the wild anymore (just a fact i thought may interest you)

rich_one

Members
I happen to know my male is the larger of the two, per Ira, where I got them from. I will say I notice that my female tends to display her stress bars more often than my male does his... but other than that, not a lot I can tell that is different.

BTW... no longer available. As if on cue, I get home tonight, and find them hanging out together at the mouth of a flowerpot.

Go figure.

I'm gonna hang on and see if they have finally made up...

I have not heard of them being extinct in the wild. I am aware they are endangered though.

-Rich