• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

FEEDING ONCE A DAY

zackcrack00

Members
So as we are showing our house am trying to sell it, we need to move my tanks and everything to my dad's house so we can move into the new house and get the water to my basement (fishroom) setup. My questions:
1) Can I feed newly free-swimming angelfish fry live BBS or microworms just once a day?
2) Can I feed Adult Angelfish breeding pairs just once a day (they usually get 2-5 times depending on the pair. (Small feelings but when I move them 1 large feeding)
3) can j feed growing angelfish live food just once a day???

And now I have a request. Does anyone in this forum have the space to take care of 2 large angelfish pairs? They are adapted to water 8.1 ph and semi-hard, so they will do fine in almost anything now. This will be anywhere 3-4 months, maybe 5 keeping these guys. You don't have to save their spawns, but if you do they are yours if you want them. One is a beautiful DoubleDark angel pair, and one a koi. I'd like for the two pairs to be separated with a divider or even in separate tanks if that's possible. Thank you so much to anyone who can do this for me. Once I get my fishroom you have your choice of anything I have for the first few months. (Should be some special angel crosses, 5 good angel strains, livebearers like wild mollies, guppies, mbuna, apistos, maybe other things)

THANK YOU!

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Becca

Members
Z - invest in some java moss and microworm/grindal worm cultures.

The java moss will support all sorts of microorganisms that will help keep your baby angels fed throughout the day.

Microworms and grindal worms can survive for a few hours under water, so you can over feed in the AM with those live foods and the baby angels can snack on them throughout the day.

Same goes for Daphnia and your larger angels. Having some moss, etc. in the tank will stop them from eating the Daphnia all at once.

zackcrack00

Members
Thanks! I have 5 going Microworm cultures as of right now. I have moss in both of my young angel tanks, one in my egg/fry tank and one in my growout of pea-size+ angels.

Becca

Members
Thanks! I have 5 going Microworm cultures as of right now. I have moss in both of my young angel tanks, one in my egg/fry tank and one in my growout of pea-size+ angels.

Make sure the moss is pretty dense and it will help.

Also, I really like decapsulated brine shrimp eggs if you reach a point where you can't be hatching out fresh ones every day.

jonclark96

Past CCA President
Just my opinion, but you are feeding your adult fish way too much. I feed my fish 4 or 5 days a week, with the exception of fry get fed once daily if they are in a breeder box or some other tank that isn't established. Any fry that are in an established tank, especially if I have left them with their parents, do not get any additional feeding more than the parents. I have found that they will scavenge on sponge filters, algea, plants, etc. just fine. Do I have 100% survival rate on fry? Probably not, but I would also like to think that this helps to weed out the weakest of the fry.

mchambers

Former CCA member
I agree with Jon and also feed my fish 4-5 times a week. Lately, I've routinely not fed them for two consecutive days. From the Skeptical Aquarist:

"Feast and famine is the natural rhythm of predators. All fully-grown fishes thrive on what German fishkeepers call a "starve-day" once a week or so. You may notice, however, after a "starve-day"— or even a "starve-weekend"— the fishes are noticeably less active, conserving energy, though perfectly healthy."

http://www.skepticalaquarist.com/feeding-behavior

Becca

Members
I agree with Jon and also feed my fish 4-5 times a week. Lately, I've routinely not fed them for two consecutive days. From the Skeptical Aquarist:

"Feast and famine is the natural rhythm of predators. All fully-grown fishes thrive on what German fishkeepers call a "starve-day" once a week or so. You may notice, however, after a "starve-day"— or even a "starve-weekend"— the fishes are noticeably less active, conserving energy, though perfectly healthy."

http://www.skepticalaquarist.com/feeding-behavior

Agreed - the only times I feed multiple times a day is if I'm feeding a medicated food, per instructions, or I'm trying specifically to condition something to breed so I'm shaking up routine.

Sometimes I'll feed tanks with fry a couple of times a day when they're really new, or I'll feed bottom feeders in the evening after having given other tank occupants flake in the morning, but I also only feed on days that I remember to/have time to, which means 4-5 times a week.

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
I've gone on week long vacations before without having the fish fed. Its better for them because they produce less waste, keeping the water quality better. I don't even feed fry more than once per day, but they usually have something to graze on.

I'm getting ready to move, which involves breaking down many tanks, setting them back up, and getting fish back in them. I'll stop feeding all fish a day or two before the move, and I don't feed them until a day after the tank is set back up. I can't honestly say I've ever lost a fish to starvation, and like Jon said, a little Darwinism can be good for raising quality stock. In nature, survival rates of fry is much lower than in aquariums, part of the reason why some fish will lay 1000+ eggs at a time, the numbers say some are bound to make it. In an aquarium, not every fry needs to be saved.

mchambers

Former CCA member
The most active breeding I've ever had in my tanks came after a 12 day vacation with no feeding, 4 days of feeding, then 5 days of no feeding during the power outage caused by the 2012 derecho. Two or three weeks later, after lots of feeding and water changes, my fish all started spawning.

festaedan

potamotrygon fan
Just my opinion, but you are feeding your adult fish way too much. I feed my fish 4 or 5 days a week, with the exception of fry get fed once daily if they are in a breeder box or some other tank that isn't established. Any fry that are in an established tank, especially if I have left them with their parents, do not get any additional feeding more than the parents. I have found that they will scavenge on sponge filters, algea, plants, etc. just fine. Do I have 100% survival rate on fry? Probably not, but I would also like to think that this helps to weed out the weakest of the fry.

I agree. I feed my fry 2 times a day but since allot of the fry are in established planted tanks they will be fine if I skip a day or 2. Your fish will all be fine :)

neut

Members
Similar to above for me for most species, including angelfish. Generally feed adults once a day with an occasional skip. Feed fry of most species once or twice a day and like to keep them in a tank with some algae and some driftwood with a bit of moss and/or bio-film to graze on, which they'll pick at throughout the day.