• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

"Fake Zebra" plecos?

yodafett77

Members
I, like most fans of Plecos, love the looks of Zebra Plecos. But I can't swing the price tag. I've heard there is a "Fake Zebra" pleco that looks very similar, for like 10% of the price. Does anyone know the species name, or L# for that?

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
There are a few "pseudo zebra" plecos. I think all are hypancistrus sp. They only look similar to the zebra pleco in terms of color. The direction, shape and contrast of the dark bands are not nearly as attractive imo as those of the zebra pleco.
I suggest you use planetcatfish.com to help you see pics and learn the care requirements of these pseudo zebras.

Sent from my DROIDX

I think he is refering to L270 the chocolate Zebra.

I personally prefer L250 and is considered one of the rarest pleco. Last time I saw someone selling them was two years ago for $4500 each.

longstocking

Members
I have fry from some L270's... but I wouldn't consider them to look anything like a zebra pleco. There are some really attractive hypansistrus out there... to name a few but most are still pricey... Black and white pattern...

L333
L174
L399
L400
L260
L066

Again, the closest is probably the L134 like mentioned...

yodafett77

Members
Hmm... Thank you all for the replies. I'll look into those L#s and see about some prices.

I agree the L134 DOES look the closest in terms of markings...

I'm photo-logging the process of getting the tank installed and set up, but it's going to take a couple weeks, as I had to order glass top and light hoods for it. This past weekend we re-arranged the living room, repainted the stand, cleaned the tank itself, and reinforced the sub-floor. (we live in an old house, with 22 inch floor joists, so I was rather concerned about the weight distribution).

I'm hoping to start adding fish within 3-4 weeks and complete the stocking over the following 2 months.