• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Evolution of my Nano Aquarium

bschuhart

Members
At the April 2011 CCA meeting I bought a book on Nano Aquariums. I got hooked. Here's what it looks like in week 1. I hope to post undates as the aquarium develops.

This is what it looks like out of the box and the video shows it put togther and then with plants and a few White Clouds.

[YT]u3J9OR1qkmg[/YT]

Florafull.png

Prince

The ONE who is The ONE
Looks good! I can't wait for my plants to fill in on my Edge. I am going with part of this LED kit I can't wait till October when Fluval releases the LED kit for the Edge. I found a company in the States that sells the LED bars.

bschuhart

Members
I really don't know why they used Halagen bulbs, those thing are hot and around water, if they get wet they break.

LED seems the way to go.

I don't know how good you are at retrofitting things, but you could try using a screw in CF bulb. If it will fit.

Looks good! I can't wait for my plants to fill in on my Edge. I am going with part of this LED kit I can't wait till October when Fluval releases the LED kit for the Edge. I found a company in the States that sells the LED bars.

Prince

The ONE who is The ONE
I like the halogen lights. They heat the water so I don't need to buy a heater.

Posted via mobile.capitalcichlids.org

mscichlid

Founder
Nice! I like how the video blended. That sure seems like a lot of equipment for such a small tank. :)

Good job!

bschuhart

Members
All of the equipment came with the Fluval Flora kit. It was on sale at TFP for $99.99 and I had a $25 off code, so it was a good deal. I picked up a second light that was on the close out table for $12.00(they had a kit with a cracked tank, so they were selling the parts for cheap)

My wife found a plant stand at a craft show that fit the tank perfectly.

The video was done quickly with the FLIP software, easy just add Titles, music and the 2 videos that I made, the software blended it together.

Nice! I like how the video blended. That sure seems like a lot of equipment for such a small tank. :)

Good job!

Prince

The ONE who is The ONE
I think you were talking about the co2 kit in your other thread. I found some info on it. Its made by ISTA/Water Plant. Its their Precise co2 kit so the bottles are made for Asian thread standards. That maybe why the 20gr from the bike shop didn't fit. Greenleaf sells the 95gr kit for 99.00. But its supposedly only for 11 gallons. Fluval markets their 88gr version for 40 gallons and the 20gr for 15 gallons. ISTA's US distributor is Seven Ports

Last edited:

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
Looking good, Ben! I just took down my desktop reef on Friday and am probaby just going to replace it with a standard 5 gallon tank. Some easy plants and scarlet baddis I think....

I'm also pretty inspired by that new nano book.

Keep this post updated as the plants grow in. :)

bschuhart

Members
The book is nice, I wish they would have put a metric to standard conversion chart in the back in the English edition.

I like how it listed good species for a nano tank and the shrimp section is the bomb..

WendyFish

Members
Thanks for posting this! Our office is moving next month so I've been flip-flopping on whether I want to get a small tank for it. It's great to see what everyone else is doing! (Though I think the idea of trying to do tank maintenance in my office -- neatly and discreetly -- is still too intimidating.)

bschuhart

Members
My answer to that is: think it over carefully. 20 years ago I convinced the PTA at the school that I teach in to get 150g tank...well I've been maintaining it for 20 years.

Thanks for posting this! Our office is moving next month so I've been flip-flopping on whether I want to get a small tank for it. It's great to see what everyone else is doing! (Though I think the idea of trying to do tank maintenance in my office -- neatly and discreetly -- is still too intimidating.)

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
LOL on the 150, Ben. You're a good man, Charlie Brown.

Maintenance concerns are definitely legit. Hence the reason I took down the nano-reef at work. SW is enough of a pain on home court... in the office is over the top imo.

Looking forward to a waterchange-friendly FW tank.

mscichlid

Founder
The book is a good one. I keep it in the bathroom because it is the only time I actually get to read anything else that doesn't have to do with school.

Prince

The ONE who is The ONE
How do you like the co2 system? I bought one and I am considering sending it back for the 88gr system. The diffusor is huge for a nano system..... I have to get my layout together.

bschuhart

Members
I'm undecided. As far as the disfuser being large, it will be hidden by plants soon. I looked at the 88g system and heard it's a little hard to regulate and the risk of adding too much CO2 is there.

With the 20g you just dump a load into the disfuser and that's the most it can get in one shot.

How do you like the co2 system? I bought one and I am considering sending it back for the 88gr system. The diffusor is huge for a nano system..... I have to get my layout together.

Prince

The ONE who is The ONE
I don't like it the 20gr system. Its too intrusive for my Edge so I am sending it back. I may go with the 88gr system or just use excel.