• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Everyone ok?

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
So here's my next question....given everything that's been going on with WSSC's problems, is it wise to do a waterchange right away? I worry that their distribution issues may affect our water quality for a few days....anyone have experience with this before?

Sent from my Droid using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

I was thinking the same thing. Not in terms of quality but in terms of usage during mandatory restrictions. Fortunately I have power and my fish are fine.

Sent from my DROIDX

Wish I could do water changes, but we are on a well, and preserving that for drinking, bathing, etc, although I think there's very little left. Keep your fingers crossed!

Hawkman2000

Members
(Copied my post from another thread)

Saturday -

My friend, my girlfriend and I scored the last room available at any hotel that has power in norther Virginia. We will be staying at the Marriott Courtyard until our houses in Arlington have power. The temp in our bedrooms was around 95 in the day, and 88 at night. Luckily this gives me the ability to charge 2 decent sized UPS batteries, go home every 4 to five hours, and run my filters and air pumps for 30 to 45 minutes. I do water changes to keep the temp up though.

AHHH, AIR CONDITIONING IS AWESOME!! The pool is nice as well.

Sunday -

Got the call from Dominion at around 5 am that power has been restored to our house. Back at home now. Everything is OK. Interesting find with one of my plants though, will start a thread on this later.

chriscoli

Administrator
I was thinking the same thing. Not in terms of quality but in terms of usage during mandatory restrictions. Fortunately I have power and my fish are fine.

Sent from my DROIDX

I was definitely going to hold off on heavy water usage per wssc's request, so no huge water changes across the board for me right now.

Heard, too, that they were lifted. But I'm not doing any water changes unless water is aged. period. especially right now. God knows if they're getting heavy handed with the chemicals just in case . . . none of my tanks experienced any issues, as far as I can tell.

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
Lost power in my neighborhood on Friday night. Dug out the generator on Saturday morning and had it on-and-off since. It's keeping the fish alive and food cold, but pretty miserable hot upstairs. Got a fan plugged in downstairs. Drnking beer and reading books.

Sent my battery-powered air pumps down to my brother in Rockville.

Good luck everyone.

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
My normally-pleasant tap water tastes like pool water rifgt now. Hold off with water changes or be generous with the dechlor.

chris_todd

Members
We got power back about 4:30 pm. I had done a large WC on all my tanks this morning, and now the fish seem fine, but I'm on Baltimore city water, and I never heard they lost power. Good to have the AC back, our house thermostat read 85* when the power came back on.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

mchambers

Former CCA member
Asplundh, PEPCO's contractor, just freed up the power line from under the huge tree that fell across the street from our house, so I'm hoping we'll have power in the next 24 hours.

Only lost one fish so far. Luckily, most of my tanks are in our basement, where the temperature is about 77F. Have now cleaned all of my filters, including 6 canisters.

Am going to do more water changes tonight, move my battery powered pumps around, and knock on wood.

We hit 90+ in the house last night. One cory doesn't look good, but all mbuna, angels, and other cories seem ok. Running sponge filters from batt air pumps, but cannot do anything about heat. No ice to be had in Annapolis area. Maybe Monday will bring deliveries. BGE estimates power restoration by 12:30PM on Wed. I may be in jail by then!!!

Keep your fingers crossed.

Aperper

Members
arrrgggh

still no power in Silver Spring and the expectation is that PEPCO could care less....or maybe power back by friday. Mbuna tank looks okay and i've done water changes. guess i'll lower water level today. none of the fish look too stressed, but if we go to Friday, i'll need to take some more drastic action. at least the temp in the house stays reasonable (~80) as we are in a very shady neighborhood. then again, all those trees do come down...

:angry3:

Nathan

Members
When are you guys going to bite the bullet and fix your power grid so this stops happening every time there's a storm?

Frank Cowherd

Global Moderators
Staff member
Got connected to the power company last night. Air conditioning is great.

Have generator to keep air to the fish, all survived though did not feed until this morning.

Hotter inside than out so picked up all the tree debris and talked with neighbors I do not see often.

Lost one monster tree, turned out it was spongy and a bit hollow inside. Some recently planted shrubs need constant watering to keep alive, leaves are turning brown in the heat.

Shane

Members
We got power back yesterday at about 0400 hrs. I got up and double checked that all heaters/filters came back on.

We were about 30 hours without power. No fish losses (15 tanks). The only fish I was very worried about were the Chaetostoma but all made it. I just kept up 10% water changes every four hours as I would when collecting in the field. Tanks with air breathers (Betta, Corydoras, etc) got 10% changed every 6 hours. The rain barrel was a lifesaver giving me 65 gallons of fresh water to work with. I believe I will add a second rain barrel plumbed in line so that I'll have 130 gallons on hand in the future.

-Shane

ezrk

Members
We are still out in Reston, coming up on 2.5 days.

Sent the big Mbuna off to visit friends in parts of Reston that have power. Although 12-14 4-5" Mbuna in a 10g can't be their idea of fun, but at least they have air that way...

Rest of the fish are ok so far, fortunately the indoor temp is staying around 78 so far and we have battery air pumps. We did some partial water changes on Sunday, again the water out of our taps is around 76-78 now so changing with that isn't a problem.