• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Everyone ok?

turfboss

Members
No power in DavidsonvilleMD, south of Annapolis. Trees down everywhere, including across our driveway. Battery air pumps kicked on, but I'm worried about high temps. What's the temp breakpoint where I should really start worrying? We're at about 84 inside now, but I'm sure that will go up.

BGE says "several days.". Ugh.

Ruth -

I have a friend who lives in Davidsonville who has a generator you can have to use if you need it - let me know and I will give you directions to his place - they are at the beach and have no need for it right now - they won't be back home till Monday or Tuesday but he said you could use the generator.

George
That's very generous of you and your friend! We really aren't in a life threatening situation, so we will pass on the generator. Our neighbors have one on their fridge, so we've moved our perishables there. This will likely raise the debate among the men in the neighborhood again about whether to get whole house generators! It's an annual ritual, just like the debate about the best equipment is for plowing snow!

YSS

Members
Got lucky. Did not lose power. Had a flicker or two. Good luck to those who are without power. Hope you get power back soon.

verbal

CCA Members
Lost internet until early this afternoon. Power was on continuously. got pretty lucky with only very small branches falling in our yard.

mchambers

Former CCA member
Moved some of my favorite fish into my two biggest tanks, put the battery air pumps on those tanks. Will hope for the best with the rest.

fischfan13

Banned
My heart goes out to everyone there without power. This has been, especially for us on the Jersey Shore, one of the most storm-packed June's that I can recall.
Parts of Southern Jersey are still without power as well, but where I live we just got clipped with a lot of lightning.

Hope for the best for everyone out there.

Power out at my house from 4 a.m. to about 7 p.m. tonight. Fortunately, the lower level in my townhouse didn't get above 74; rest of the house didn't get more than 78, so all tanks fine temp wise, as were the dogs. I'd purchased two large battery pack 400s a few years ago. This was the first time I'd used them. I hooked up two air stones with one and another air stone for the tank on a different level. Used a battery powered stone on the fourth tank. Then, several times, I hooked each filter up for a few minutes to keep bacterial colony in the filter oxytenated. No idea if this was necessary or helpful, but it made me feel better. These two battery packs really worked as intended. I highly recommend them (although I have no idea how long they would have worked). I could recharge them in my car if I could have found the cigarette lighter accessory . . .

I have battery op air pump running stacked pro V sponge filter on 55g mbuna tank and another one that I am rotating on another 55g mbuna tank, a 20g, and a 10g. House got up to 88 late yest evening and only cooled down to 84 overnight. Haven't fed fish since Fri and periodically put some ice in the tanks. Fish are prob faring better than the humans. There is only one gas station in the Edgewater, MD area that is open and the line is reminiscent of 1972-73! According to BGE website, they still have just under 9000 customers to restore in Anne Arundel County. The debate on whether to invest in a standby generator has begun this morning! This time around, I'm voting Yes! Again, only uncomfortable and a bit boring, but not life-threatening, fortunately. Stay safe, everybody!

UNCLERUCKUS

"THE ALL POWERFUL Q !!
Power in North Laurel went out @ 11pm and came back on at 1230am this a.m. Fish are okay. Hope everyone did ok.

chris_todd

Members
Power still out here in Catonsville. Thats about 30 hours now Battery powered air stones are keeping up ok, but I've lost some of my smaller yellow labs. Gonna do some more water changes, but the bio filters in my canisters are prolly dead, so I'm going to clean them out completely and just do daily 50-75% WCs.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

mchambers

Former CCA member
Still no power here and no signs of utility trucks. I'm thinking we'll be lucky to have power by Wednesday. Fish seem to have survived this far. Off to do more water changes.

On the positive side, it's easy to remove snails, since they're climbing the sides of some of the tanks. :)

chriscoli

Administrator
No power here yet either. Aside from the battery bubnlers, I've decided to take a hands-off approach to the tanks. Unless they look stressed, I'm not fussing with them. That being said, I have an overstocked 10gal with oodles of endlers that didn't get an airstone....those have done remarkably well but are starting to look a bit peeved. They may get the shallow water in a bucket treatment with a partial waterchange soon.

Snails???? Omg I had no idea it was that bad in some of my tanks. Mts everywhere, stealing precious O2! I 'll be placing an assassin order with rachel soon!

Sent from my Droid using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

chriscoli

Administrator
2 free bags of ice at some Harris Teeter locations!!!!

chris_todd

Members
@Ruth: yeah, I think this clinches it for me, too. Some of my neighbors have whole house generators, and I can see the wisdom and utility. In last years hurricane, my wife had the foresight to rent a generator before they were all gone, and that saved our bacon (and fish, and basement floor from flooding) but this storm was sudden, and by the time we called the rental place the next morning, they were all gone.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

fishman13

Members
Wow, that wad a bad storm! I just finished hooking up my azoo battery air pumps and unplugging the canister filters. Pepco is saying well be out till the 1st. I'm not sure how accurate that really is. A tree is down across the street and I heard a lot more wood cracking in the neighborhood before that, too. I'll be out with the pushbroom tomorrow, for sure.

I had power all through the storm

JasonC

Members
Power in North Laurel went out @ 11pm and came back on at 1230am this a.m. Fish are okay. Hope everyone did ok.

Still no power in my area of North Laurel (Leishear Rd)... at least I assume since my answering machine is not picking up. Thinking about heading back west over the bay bridge to deal with fridge and freezer before they get too yucky. Fish seemed okay as of yesterday evening. little stressed but okay. Temps stayed in the 70's in the basement. Not sure what to expect when I get back, but definitley going to at least to a *heavy* PWC. Hope is that the plants in my tanks will have helped with oxygenation despite the lack of light.

On the to-do list: Come up with a power loss contengency plan... blah.

chriscoli

Administrator
Hey! Power just came back on here! I wonder if it'll stay on...

Moments before it came on, pepco had told our neighborhood that it they were estimating our power would be on by the 6th! I'm not complaining!

chriscoli

Administrator
So here's my next question....given everything that's been going on with WSSC's problems, is it wise to do a waterchange right away? I worry that their distribution issues may affect our water quality for a few days....anyone have experience with this before?