• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Eheim Quick Vac Pro Gravel Cleaner

Howie

Members
After doing the python and bucket routine, I decided to try a new toy, the Eheim Quick Vac Pro. After seeing a bunch of Amazon reviews and YouTube videos, I bought one.

I received it yesterday from Drs. Foster and Smith, which had the best price at $49.99 and free shipping. It was easy to quickly assemble, and comes with 4 AA batteries. It is well constructed and seems like it has a fairly durable ABS plastic body housing and ergonomic handle and button control on top. I tried it out on my 40 column's gravel (its fully submersible to 3' for monster tanks) and it performed great. I had serious doubts about the suction power, but it pulled up all of the detritus effortlessly. Once the fine mesh collecting recepticle is filled up, it neatly detaches from the main unit and you pour the contents into your sink and run it under water to clean it. It cleans with ease.

This is a fun gadget. Bottom line--it does the job as advertised. Kudos to the folks at Eheim for a fine product.

DBLN8

Members
What type of fish do you have? I've thought about getting one of these for just cleaning the poop during the week between water changes and I'd like to make sure it will pick up big poop.

Howie

Members
In my 40g, I have a 8" Red devil, 6" OB Zebra, 4+" OB Peacock, and a few 5" plecos. I think it will be great for you between water changes.

Jt731

Members
I've pulled the end off of the crap receptacle and stuffed it with filter floss to make it filter a bit more heavily. Also, I have submerged mine many a time and it's still going strong. Also, a lot of times when it is having some issues holding it an angle helps

I have pool filter sand for substrate in my Peacock/Hap set up, the poop not picked up by the filter collects in one area and since it's sand it stays on the surface.

Every morning before feeding I grab my Eheim vac and pull out the poop collected in the one location - works great.

so it works well with PFS? can you stick it into the sand or just the surface?

I would not stick it in the sand like you would with a gravel substrate.

It has an impeller type pump like a hob filter and so you would not want sand in the "moving parts" of the vacuum.