• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Eeew Hydra!

msjinkzd

invert junkie
yea, if we meet up. I just cannot ship them. They are commonly known as zebra apples, for google purposes.

mscichlid

Founder
I have hydra! Going to use Safeguard and be done with it. Blasted planted tanks. Will it kill my assasins? I don't know...

msjinkzd

invert junkie
I don't know either, haven't tried it with them, to be honest. I have lost apple snails and nerites from using dewormer. Pest snails do fine. Since assassins are more "physically" like pest snails, i guess its wortha shot. You might want to move a few out to be on the safe side.

Nuking the hydra tank is like burning money. Carolina Biological Supply wants $10.75 for a small sample of living Hydra. I see $$$.

mscichlid

Founder
^ LOL! Too funny. I decided not to spend the money on the dewormer until I can small quantities. For now, I'll try Frank's method. It's time for a major WC anyway.

George

CCA Charter Member and person in charge of the we
I have only had hydra where I fed newly hatched brine shrimp. When I stopped feeding the brine shrimp, no more hydra. I have also been able to eliminate them with fairly minor salt treatments.

Actually the hydra never caused a problem that I saw. Their very presence bothered me but they never did any harm that I could see.

I guess if the hydra tankwas one where you wanted to spawn something it might be a problem.

msjinkzd

invert junkie
yes, and hydra also relish eating baby shrimp. I got rid of them by totally starving the tank and doign water changes. The shrimp still grazed on the plants, but no food was added tot he water column which fed the hydra. I also used a small guage siphon to try and suck out any hydra during the water chagnes (being careful not to break them and cause MORE).

b considine

a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude
Matt Chambers, Thread Necromancer

Arise, O thread, from pages deep
Cast off your pall, shake off your sleep
Enlighten us with topics forgotten
While other threads lay buried and rotten