• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Dragon Photos (as requested) : )

golsama

Corresponding Secretary
Penny the day I got her in 2008.
IMG_5743.jpg

Penny on my hand (2008)
IMG_5826.jpg

Penny "in" my hand today
IMG_6665.jpg

Penny today (She ate strawberries earlier, hence the red on her face, lol)
IMG_6675.jpg

IMG_6677.jpg

Penny wearing her harness.
IMG_6683.jpg

verbal

CCA Members
Great pics.

My kids(and wife) are excited that they will be getting a couple beardies. Although it won't be until my son is old enough to not to try to eat or wrestle with them.

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
Great shots! Love the color around her eye.

Is she friendly?

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
Great pics! I'm a big fan of beardies. I first learned about them when I started volunteering for the National Aquarium in Baltimore. I worked with the Herp Department for the Australia section that was being built when I started. I used to feed and care for many reptiles, amphibians and fish while I worked there. I started working with the Dragons and was instantly enamored. I eventually picked up a pair from the Reptile expo in Timonium. Attached are a few pics from Photog IAMZRAD.

fem3.jpg

malesmall.jpg

golsama

Corresponding Secretary
Thanks everyone for the compliments.

Is she friendly?
In my opinion, she is very friendly. She sat on my shoulder yesterday for 3 hours while I did stuff around the house. Of course, she is a dragon and that means they all have some attitude. In the 2.5 years that I've had her she has never bitten me. They do get a little grumpy when they brumate (reptile hibernation) and you disturb them. But hey I think we all get a little grumpy when someone wakes us up from a deep sleep.

Mike- Nice dragons! Beardies are awesome. I'm pretty sure I will always have a bearded dragon in my life, lol. They have a way about them that draws people in. I love my girl so much, that I have a feeder roach colony in a rubbermaid in my house. They are kept very secure and fattened up just for her. I haven't bought crickets in 2 years.

I had rescued a second one from a neglectful/abusive home. His name was Trooper. He was extremely dehydrated, malnourished, had parasites. It took a year to get him back to prime health. Dragons take a long time to recuperate from poor husbandry/illness. He was so laid back that he was still friendly even after I had to do forced feedings on him (not fun for either of us). I adopted him to a friend of my sister's whose life seems to center around Trooper now. I'll post a picture of Trooper in a minute. I'll also post a picture of Penny's custom enclosure I built after I clean it (she made a mess this morning).

golsama

Corresponding Secretary
Trooper, my big rescued boy.
IMG_5816.jpg

IMG_5818.jpg

Trooper auditioning to be Rudolph.
IMG_5880.jpg

Trooper is 23" long including his tail.

Penny is 18" long including her tail.

UNCLERUCKUS

"THE ALL POWERFUL Q !!
SWEET DRAGON. COUPLE MONTHS BACK WE ALL WENT UP TO HOT AFTER THE MEETING. WHILE THERE I WAS PLAYING WITH ONE AND MY WIFE ACTUALLY HELD HIM. SHE WAS SHOCKED AT HOW EASY AND TAME HE WAS. I WAS SHOCKED SHE PICKED IT UP. RUINED MY DAY I WAS TRYING TO SCARE HER WITH IT. :D

golsama

Corresponding Secretary
Here is the custom enclosure I designed and built for Penny. Her enclosure is 4'x2'x2'
IMG_6702.jpg

And a picture of her from today that let's you see her back pattern better.
IMG_6712.jpg

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
Sam - that enclosure is pretty much the coolest thing I have ever seen. Sort of like the Pee-Wee's Playhouse of the reptile world! I love it!

Now a roach colony.... that's something I wouldn't do for any pet. Sorry - my guys would be eating crickets, even if they weren't as tasty, lol.

Have you thought about breeding her with trooper? Is that something that can be done in captivity?

golsama

Corresponding Secretary
When she was a baby/juvenile she would eat 1,000 Crickets a week! It was expensive. Now that she is an adult she eats less crickets, but she eats the larger ones. They chirp and smell. I would rather keep the roaches, lol. They have a secure lid and can't get out.

As for breeding them. It is completely possible. Almost all bearded dragons in the US are captive bred. It is extremely difficult to get a wild caught. The dragons are easy to breed. The babies are a pain to care for. They can have upwards of 20-40 hatch from one clutch and can have multiple clutches from one mating. The babies will all need individual enclosures with heat lamps and uvb lamps once they reach a certain size because they will start injuring/killing each other. Each baby will consume 1,000 crickets per week. So they take a lot of money, space, and time to raise. One day I may breed dragons but not any time soon.

George

CCA Charter Member and person in charge of the we
I really like them. Never had anything like that. Are they supposed to be that fat or do you feed them pizza too often? They look healthy in any case.

George