• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

DOING MY OWN WET DRY

UNCLERUCKUS

"THE ALL POWERFUL Q !!
WELL AFTER BEING IN THE HOBBY FOR A WHILE IVE COME TO APPRECIATE A GOOD FILTRATION SYSTEM. AS WELL AS THE VALUE OF SAVING $$$ BY DIY PROJECTS ;). SO I CALLED UP MY GOOD FRIEND DANGER CHICKEN WHO JUST HAPPENS TO BE A PLUMBING GENIUS TO GET SOME MUCH NEEDED HELP. :p MIKE CAME BY AROUND 530 PM AND WE LAID OUT WHAT I HAD AND MADE A LIST OF WHAT WE NEEDED. THIS IS MIKES FAVORITE PART :jumpy: BECAUSE HE GETS TO RUN AROUND HOME DEPOT GRABBING THIS AND GRABBING THAT..AT MY EXPENSE :D. WE GET A FEW ELBOWS AND CONNECTIONS AND HEAD BACK HOME. BY THE TIME WE GET HOME SHERHONDA HAS DINNER COMING OFF THE GRILL AND BOY DID IT SMELL GOOD. WE HAD DINNER , TALKED FISH, MESSED AROUND AND TALKED MORE FISH. BY THE TIME WE ACTUALLY BEGAN WORKING IT WAS 1130 PM :D THIS WAS MY 2ND WD AND MIKE SAID I WAS BUILDING THIS ONE MYSELF SO I WAS EXCITED AND HOPING I DIDNT MESS UP. ALL THE TIME I SPENT STUDYING MY OTHER WET DRY WENT RIGHT OUT THE WINDOW AS MIKE DESIGNED THIS ONE A LITTLE DIFFERENT. WE CUT AND MEASURED AND I PRIMED AND GLUED ALL NIGHT. WHEN WE FINISHED THE SUN WAS COMING UP AND MY BODY CRAVED SLEEP IN THE WORST WAY. I WAS PROUD OF MY PROJECT AND I WAS VERY HAPPY I HAD A FRIEND LIKE MIKE. MIKE THANKS AGAIN FOR ALL YOUR HELP AND EXPERTISE.:happy0065::happy0180::party0003::sign0191::sign0201::sign0173::character0272:

CCA OSCAR 005.jpg

CCA OSCAR 004.jpg

CCA OSCAR 003.jpg

CCA OSCAR 002.jpg

CCA OSCAR 001.jpg

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
Was the filter chamber prefab or did you guys build that too? What type of intake system do you have? I saw the system on your 120 but don't remember the exact setup. What was the overall cost if you don't mind posting?

Cartel

Members
Mikes gunna have to make another trip to laurel in the near future for another one of these builds

UNCLERUCKUS

"THE ALL POWERFUL Q !!
Was the filter chamber prefab or did you guys build that too? What type of intake system do you have? I saw the system on your 120 but don't remember the exact setup. What was the overall cost if you don't mind posting?
NO IT WAS PRE FAB ALL WE HAD TO BUILD WAS THE PLUMBING AND THE OVERFLOW. PVC + PRIMER AND GLUE 70.00 (ENOUGH FOR 2 WD) STILL HAVE SOME LEFT OVER . PUMPS 40.00 AND 40.00 FOR THE SUMP. SO ABOUT 150.00 FOR 2 WD SYSTEMS. IN THE STORE/ONLINE I WOULD HAVE PAID DBL THAT FOR ONE WITHOUT A PUMP.

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
Thats great, much cheaper than I would have expected. I'm definitely considering the idea because I'm looking at spending at least that much on a canister filter. You guys wanna make a trip to the new place when I move?

minifoot77

Members
do you still have some pvc left or are you gonna use it? and is there a good place to buy the acryllic box from?

jonclark96

Past CCA President
do you still have some pvc left or are you gonna use it? and is there a good place to buy the acryllic box from?

I have a full box with bio balls that came with my 180 when I bought it used. I'd be interested in trading it for a 20 long or 29 tank. It has everything but the siphon tube for the overflow box and the pump (I use the pump for water changes and would not want to part with it). It was used on a salt system, so it needs some cleaning. Nothing wrong with it that I know of, but I just did not trust the whole flooding in a power outage thing.

UNCLERUCKUS

"THE ALL POWERFUL Q !!
I'd look online for better prices for overflow...or build your own with pvc. we did that on this last one. its not hard to do and I'm sure the pvc will be cheaper then shipping. lol.

UNCLERUCKUS

"THE ALL POWERFUL Q !!
oh and instead of a prefabricated sump you can use a 20g on up according to your needs. then use stackable trays in 3 levels drilling small holes on the bottom.