• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Do Speakers

Forester

Members
Overall CCA has been doing an excellent job with the different mixture of speakers and topics: local/national/international. I always learn something new at each monthly meeting. Although the speaker/topic is an important reason to attend the meetings, I also enjoy interacting with fellow CCA members and friends. My only suggestions will be (1) to maintain the mixture of topics/speakers (enjoyed the short talks by CCA members also), and (2) Limit the talks to 45 minutes plus questions.

Manuel

+1

chris_todd

Members
Woud also really like to see us schedule a speaker from NANFA on native N.American species of which there are over 650, some of which are as cool and colorful as anything from the other side of the world.

IIRC, Bob Bock gave a nice talk on Sunfish at an ACLC meeting a couple of years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

jonclark96

Past CCA President
One question that has been out there for a while is regarding the topics of the talks. As we are a cichlid and catfish club, we have stuck to talks on those specific areas. The first real talk we received as a club that was not cichlid related was Rachel's talk at AquaMania (which was a home run, in my opinion). We are reaching out with Mark's talk this month, but that was more out of necessity when we had a last minute cancelation. Would the membership be open to more non-cichlid talks?

Leffler817

CCA Members
One question that has been out there for a while is regarding the topics of the talks. As we are a cichlid and catfish club, we have stuck to talks on those specific areas. The first real talk we received as a club that was not cichlid related was Rachel's talk at AquaMania (which was a home run, in my opinion). We are reaching out with Mark's talk this month, but that was more out of necessity when we had a last minute cancelation. Would the membership be open to more non-cichlid talks?

"Thank you sir, may I have another?"

Rachel's talk was outstanding. I'd definitely be open to more non-Cichlid talks but I wouldn't want to stray far from the mission of CCA.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

msjinkzd

invert junkie
I think that incorporating topics like fish room builds/DIY is still within the mission. Otherwise, we should probably limit our "non-cichlid/catfish" talks for most of the meetings. I think that our convention is a great opportunity to supply great cichlid/catfish talks, and have a "bonus" speaker, as I was this year. It adds some interest but does not deviate too far that way. I think that husbandry (for instance disease, water chemistry) is applicable to cichlid keeping, and therefore DIY talks about how you set up a central system, plumbing, fish rooms, etc, all apply.
I was honored to talk at the convention, and very pleased at my reception.

Plenipotentiary-at-large
Spice of life...

Not sure why there is a specific focus on cichlids, news to me that CCA is also a catfish club. In any case, as long as the speakers are really good and have something to teach/share, I really don't care too much what they talk about provided it's related to the hobby and enhancing our appreciation/understanding/success. Insularity is boring to say nothing of self-limiting - bring it all on in its infinite texture and complexity - not like anyone is going to suffer/be poorer for having their/our horizons stretched a bit.

What and where is CCA's "mission" anyway? Couldn't find it anywhere on the site.

I posted something similar on another thread, but I agree with Avatar on not limiting the topics. I totally get that this is a cichild club, and thus the interests of most members will skew accordingly. For me, I'm more of a generalist keeper, and while I am also a member of PVAS, I prefer to go to CCA in large part because of location. Silver Spring's a lot easier for me to get to from where I am in NW DC than Fairfax. I find the presentations on cichlids extremely informative and interesting, but I wouldn't mind more talks on other fish from time to time. I really enjoyed the talk on cories last month, for example.

mchambers

Former CCA member
I just wanted to express my agreement with Avatar and HermsTheWord. I'm interested in all fishkeeping topics.

I'm fine with the club being a cichlid club, but I'd be as happy or happier with a general freshwater aquarium club. Location matters to me as well, living in NW DC, so I don't belong to PVAS.