• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Do Speakers

dogofwar

CCA Members
We're starting to plan speakers for 2014 and would like you input.

Do speakers (and/or topics) make a difference in whether you attend a monthly meeting (or not)?

What topics do you want to hear about next year? Any particular speakers?

Thanks,
Matt

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
I'd be interested in a presentation by Tony Orso.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

blkmjk

Members
Yes they matter. I would like to hear from any new world cichlid collector but probably Oliver would be my favorite to hear from, Mo Devlin , Ken Davis, Rusty Wessell, Jeff Rapps, I'm sure you guys have had these people speak to the club but I'm still new and have yet to make it to a meeting. Can wait to hear the new expected line up of speakers and I'm looking forward to making it to a few meetings.

Drew

NO GOOD DEED SHALL GO UNPUNISHED!

mchambers

Former CCA member
I agree with Andrew. Also, I prefer focused, crisp presentations (about 45 minutes is all I can take).

blkmjk

Members
I also agree and love the idea of local speakers. Maybe presentations about their setups? With pictures or a short video similar to the tank tour. Just a fish room tour.

Drew

NO GOOD DEED SHALL GO UNPUNISHED !

verbal

CCA Members
For me personally, I tend to enjoy the shorter more local speakers.

However I think having a couple marque names thrown in the line-up is important for recruiting and promotions. Not only for getting new club members or justifying long drives for current members, but also for getting people to come to events like Aquamania.

I think having a Tanganyikan speaker next year would be a good idea.

I would really like a speaker from the National Zoo talking about how they collect and maintain the cichlids in the Amazonia exhibit.

zackcrack00

Members
What about something different, like someone talking about community cichlids like kribs, and other popular ones. Not saying this just because have them, but a nice shirt presentation on community cichlids would be nice.

verbal

CCA Members
Don't know if the Zoo folks would do it, but it would be cool.

If you want to get someone from the Zoo, I would start with asking Jim Murphy who would be a good option(s). He is in the club, but works as the Reptile curator.

Forester

Members
I could do a short (45 min or less) presentation on my trip to Malawi. The collecting, the export facility etc. I like the shorter speakers but a few of the more notable speakers for the reasons mentioned above.

Lucas

Forester

Members
I think someone from the amazonia exhibit would be good. Ive been trying to get them to let me volunteer for years but they keep on saying im too young even though i know the names of the majority of the fish there
:-D

Lucas

Another topic could be, maybe, the concept of fishkeeping on a smaller scale -- not like the 100 tanks the previous (very good) speakers have, but more like me -- in a townhouse with no tank over 3' long. (I would volunteer . . . )

verbal

CCA Members
I think a virtual "fish room tour" would be good for next year. Maybe a focus on smaller fish rooms and/or show tanks.

Another topic could be, maybe, the concept of fishkeeping on a smaller scale -- not like the 100 tanks the previous (very good) speakers have, but more like me -- in a townhouse with no tank over 3' long. (I would volunteer . . . )

msjinkzd

invert junkie
Don't forget to work on BAP presentations, too, guys! That was very nice and I think we should do them every few months at least. This would give those of you with smaller fish rooms/more focused breeding efforts a chance to tell us about your setup and how you have success with your fish.