• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Do I need a humidifier

At what point does one need to have a humidifier? I have 120, 75(2), 10, in a 1,300sf house. is there a specific formula or ratio as to how much humidity i am getting in the house due to my tanks. I just don't want too much humidity in the house where it will cause mold or other problems.

jonclark96

Past CCA President
I think that if your tanks are spread around the house and subject to air circulation, you shouldn't have a problem. Most humidity issues would come from a fish room that is heated instead of heating the tanks. Hot, warm air in a closed room is how mold gets started. Keep your tanks covered and you should be good.

Plus, you'd want a DE-humidifer, not a humidifier, if you are concerneed. A humidifier would put more moisture into the air.;)

Charlutz

Members
We were having some humidity issues in our basement with all the rain a couple months back. The fish room is vented, but the storage room where the sump pump is located was getting a little stinky. I bought a dehumidifier which took care of the issue in a day, but also a humidity monitor. If you just want to see what your humidity is in the house, buy one of the monitors. I got this one for $13 at Amazon and it works very well. As you'd expect, your humidity will vary significantly with the weather. It starts to "feel" humid to me at around 60-65%.

Acu Rite Indoor Humidity Monitor

verbal

CCA Members
Plus, you'd want a DE-humidifer, not a humidifier, if you are concerneed. A humidifier would put more moisture into the air.;)
A fish tank can be a humidifier :)

I have almost that amount of tanks in one room(a little less gallons), but I think similar surface area, and don't have any humidity issues.

dogofwar

CCA Members
You're most likely fine, especially if you cover your tanks well.

Especially in the winter, the extra humidity is a good thing.

Matt

PS I use little clip on fans to keep air circulating and water from accumulating on our HVAC system (in my basement fishroom)...

maddog10

Members
I have an industrial size dehumidifier and humidistat I can sell for $400 if anyone needs a large unit.

I use a Santa Fe Rx dehumidifier (rated for 2200 sqft) for my fishroom. The rule of thumb for humidity level is to try to keep it below 50%. The issue is not just in your conditioned space, moist air can travel up the inside of the interior walls and work their way to the attic (unconditioned space) which is colder during the winter months. As hotter moist air meets colder air, condensation occurs. That's how you can get water damage on the ceiling of the top floor from a basement fishroom.