• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

DIY egg tumbler used for cory eggs

Forester

Members
So my cory eggs were starting fungus so i took 5 healthy eggs and made a tumbler for them and it seems to be working quite well. Do you guys think something like this could work for apisto eggs since the parents just polished of this batch of eggs. Here are pics:

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

uploadfromtaptalk1383320338782.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1383320347791.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1383320368629.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1383320387098.jpg

chriscoli

Administrator
My thought has always been to mimic what the parents do in nature. Egg tumblers are great for mouth brooders because it imitates the action of the parent tumbling the eggs in their mouth. Alternatively, If the fish is the kind that lays the eggs on a rock, for example, and fans them while leaving the eggs attached....then I would try to remove the rock to another tank and let an airstone 'fan' the eggs for me.

That being said, I did once have an emergency rescue where a pleco rejected a whole batch of eggs from the spawning cave and in an act of desperation I threw the whole clump in an egg tumbler. I turned the flow really low so that they mostly sat on the bottom and didn't move much, but at least had some water moving past them. In the end the batch did not do well....a few hatched, but did not last long so there may have been something wrong with that brood....hence dad kicking them out of the nest so early.

verbal

CCA Members
You don't want to tumble apisto eggs. They should stay on whatever surface they are laid on. The process should be similar to pulling angels eggs - airstone and an anti-fungal.

Forester

Members
If i had left tthese they would have ended up fungusing so i thought i would just go for it but i guess i wont for apistos.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

mchambers

Former CCA member
I've been having lots of corydoras eggs fungus lately, and I don't know why. For the latest batch, gold and green lasers last weekend, I took all the fish out of a 10 gallon, added a bunch of java moss and 10-15 drops of Methylene Blue, set the moss in the flow from the spray bar, and dropped the eggs in the moss.

Won't know if it it worked until I see wrigglers.

I don't know whether a tumbler will work for cory eggs. I agree with Christine that it's probably best to mimic natural conditions. In my experience, most, but not all, corydoras tend to put their eggs in high flow areas, so it's probably good to have a good flow wherever you put them. A tumbler does that, of course, but it's not natural for cory eggs to move much.

Our speaker last April, who was a fantastic corydoras breeder, recommended leaving the eggs in place and removing the other fish. I did that recently, but the eggs fungused anyway. I didn't add Methylene Blue, and now wish I had. Sam reports that Arthur did not have much, if any, problem with eggs fungusing.

Jmty

Members
I put those in a tumbler get 100%fry,
Just talked to a guy recently and he said put them in a container with air pump and add snails they clean the eggs, he get a good ratio of fry.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

dogofwar

CCA Members
The alder cones that Rachel sells are also a great anti-fungal. I drop one into whatever container I'm using to hatch (substrate-spawning cichlid) eggs...

Matt

Becca

Members
We used to pull the adults from the tanks and add an anti-fungal at the hatchery.

To get Corys to spawn we'd drop the water level low for a day or two (3" deep) and then fill the tank with fresh, cool water to simulate a rain fall. The Cory tanks were also kept on the concrete floor in order to keep temps cooler (the place was always about 80 degrees). We bred them in 40 breeders.

mchambers

Former CCA member
That sounds similar to what Arthur described, except that he didn't mention any antifungal, at least that I remember.

He described lowering the water levels so low the fishes' fins would break the surface.

I do not do corys but have 1 or 30 breeding pairs of angels and what I found works best is some waterflow but nothing near what I see in youtube and to use hydrogen peroxide as the additive. Doing the 2ml/g dosage suggested requires 2 squirts for each 10g from a typical spray bottle you would buy at home depot or Giant. I hatch in 10 gallon cubes so it is easy for me. I do it every couple days and FWIW do a 1 squirt /10g on my growout tanks 3 times a week. Its a great oxidizer, just do not overdose.