• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

DIY - Breeding Cones for Discus, Angels or others

kewx

Members
In a discussion about where to find discus breeding cones, someone mentioned a DIY idea. It sounded like a good idea, so I built one for under $10. A little Dremel tool work, silicone to secure the flower pots and a rim for a lip and it looks pretty good. It's not as beautiful as the glazed ones but I guest it will work. My discus are still a little young but I hope to give it a try this spring or summer. I'll try to add some pictures. Ken

C:\Documents and Settings\wiedelk\Desktop\Disc Cone\discuscone 10in.JPG

C:\Documents and Settings\wiedelk\Desktop\Disc Cone\conelip2.jpg

C:\Documents and Settings\wiedelk\Desktop\Disc Cone\scf3036.jpg

Last edited:

kewx

Members
I still couldn't get the pics added here but I did add them in an album under my name KEWX. Please check the album and I guess I need instructions on adding pics to the posts. Help!

picture.php
picture.php

Last edited:

mrkillie

Members
I never knew why people just didn't invert a few flower pots to begin with. I've done that with angels before quite successfully.

chris_todd

Members
so what sizes are all those pots?

They look like 2", 3", 4", 5", and 6". All standard sizes that should be available at big-box hardware stores.

I have used 3" terra cotta "orchid pots" as apisto caves; the orchid pots have drainage holes which are just right for most apistos.