• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Discus in DC tap water?

bossanova

Members
is anyone having success keeping discus healthy in straight D.C. Tap water? How often are you changing water and do you have to age it before adding?

I'm trying to realistically evaluate the requirements of a 55G discus tank before I commit. I would be able to do multiple wc's a week with the python, adding straight tap into the tank and dosing with prime at the right temp.

I'm actually in much the same boat, considering taking the plunge into the world of discus, but using tap water in College Park, MD.

What strain of discus were you considering, and where would you be getting them from?

Also, are you trying to breed or keep discus for display?

Becca

Members
Discus from Discus Hans do fine in tap, provided it's not really bad well water. We have a baker's dozen of them in MoCo tap (hard, alkaline-ish, high TDS) and they are great.

bossanova

Members
I was going to get a group from Peter Thode at Gwynbrook, if he's still around. Let me know if anyone has experience with him lately?

Becca

Members
I was going to get a group from Peter Thode at Gwynbrook, if he's still around. Let me know if anyone has experience with him lately?

I knew Peter years ago and my personal opinion is that Hans' discus are generally hardier. Peter is, to my knowledge, still around, but I believe he either alters his water or is on a well. He used to breed piranhas in big concrete vats in his discus house and is a real character.

Hey Bossanova,

I was literally at Peter Thode's place two weeks ago. He did not have a lot of stock, and the hatchery was not in good condition. His wife passed the week prior, so he was understandably not 100% focused on the fish, but i didn't find it difficult to leave without buying anything. He did mention he was getting a shipment in soon so maybe that stock will look better? But hard to say...

Have you given any thought to getting in on the BFD Group buy from Discus "R" Us? 10% and no shipping fees.

Do we know much about their stock?

Kareen

Members
I have Discus from Han's and they do fine in tape water just call him and talk to him . I just add safe win I do 50% w/c on my 125 Discus tank Iv had them for 5 years now and all is fine.

Becca

Members
Hey Bossanova,

I was literally at Peter Thode's place two weeks ago. He did not have a lot of stock, and the hatchery was not in good condition. His wife passed the week prior, so he was understandably not 100% focused on the fish, but i didn't find it difficult to leave without buying anything. He did mention he was getting a shipment in soon so maybe that stock will look better? But hard to say...

Have you given any thought to getting in on the BFD Group buy from Discus "R" Us? 10% and no shipping fees.

Oh no, poor Pete.

YSS

Members
Discus will usually do fine in most tap water provided water parameters stay stable. Aging water helps keeping water parameters more stable. However, discus come from soft water and they will do better in soft water condition.

JLW

CCA Members
Discus R Us is an importer of Malaysian Discus. There are two main sources of discus, Southeast Asia and Europe (mostly Singapore and Germany). Asian discus tend to be bred more for colouration and less for good shape or health -- they breed a lot of the hardiness out of an already delicate fish. Germans tend to focus more on quality; you'll get hardier fish, better shape, better condition... but often not the super ridiculous colours in Asian fish.

Its important to note that discus from these two sources should never be mixed. They both are adapted to their own unique bacteria and other pathogens, and mixing them involves introducing them to pathogens they have little to no resistance to. It tends to be the European ones that will fare far worse in mixing; the Asian ones are exposed to nearly every disease on Earth and tend to carry a lot. They'll wipe out European tanks quickly. You'll then be left with sickly, malshaped Asian fish over time.

Aside from the two major sources, there are other sources of Discus, too. Florida produces some, and Malaysia is producing a lot. They're kind of up and coming. Malaysian farms try to balance between the health and quality of the Europeans with the colour of the Asian farms. They're definitely succeeding on colouration. Hardiness isn't quite there yet, and I've seen some malformed Malaysians, but they're good (way better than most SE Asian sources).

However, the same caveat of mixing discus sources applies. Don't go putting Malaysians in with Europeans or Asian sourced discus.

bossanova

Members
Discus R Us is an importer of Malaysian Discus. There are two main sources of discus, Southeast Asia and Europe (mostly Singapore and Germany). Asian discus tend to be bred more for colouration and less for good shape or health -- they breed a lot of the hardiness out of an already delicate fish. Germans tend to focus more on quality; you'll get hardier fish, better shape, better condition... but often not the super ridiculous colours in Asian fish.

Its important to note that discus from these two sources should never be mixed. They both are adapted to their own unique bacteria and other pathogens, and mixing them involves introducing them to pathogens they have little to no resistance to. It tends to be the European ones that will fare far worse in mixing; the Asian ones are exposed to nearly every disease on Earth and tend to carry a lot. They'll wipe out European tanks quickly. You'll then be left with sickly, malshaped Asian fish over time.

Aside from the two major sources, there are other sources of Discus, too. Florida produces some, and Malaysia is producing a lot. They're kind of up and coming. Malaysian farms try to balance between the health and quality of the Europeans with the colour of the Asian farms. They're definitely succeeding on colouration. Hardiness isn't quite there yet, and I've seen some malformed Malaysians, but they're good (way better than most SE Asian sources).

However, the same caveat of mixing discus sources applies. Don't go putting Malaysians in with Europeans or Asian sourced discus.
Thanks for this, I had no idea!

bossanova

Members
Hey Bossanova,

Thanks for the head's up! Sorry to hear of his loss--

Yes, I was sorry to hear it too.

So, Bossanova at this point, what are your plans for acquiring Discus? After reading Josh's post, I'm now leaning towards buying from discus hans. Are you looking to raise a bunch of young discus, or looking to buy a bunch of adults for a show tank?

If you are going to the BFD we should meet up there and swap notes. Perhaps a field trip to Discus Hans is in order?

bossanova

Members
Yes, I was sorry to hear it too.

So, Bossanova at this point, what are your plans for acquiring Discus? After reading Josh's post, I'm now leaning towards buying from discus hans. Are you looking to raise a bunch of young discus, or looking to buy a bunch of adults for a show tank?

If you are going to the BFD we should meet up there and swap notes. Perhaps a field trip to Discus Hans is in order?
Lol you are tempting me! I'm actually leaning towards doing just mbuna, but getting a 125... who knows I've been changing my mind a lot lately! Would love to meet up, hit me up I have to be there tomorrow am to pick up some stuff. Three oh one- five 26 3344

dhavalsp

Members
Hans has good stuff...i have some from him...they are hardy...

WC straight from tap in winter is pain....due to micro bubbles...other than that WCs are fine with prime...if you are starting from juvies, i recommend starting in may...when weather is warmer and ...

based on color, Asian/Malaysian discus seem far superior to me...but its a personal choice....@JLW. Josh..singapore and Malaysia both are in Asia...other than that i agree with your post completely, but would be willing to risk mixing strains...:p

if anyone is planning to purchase from a asian source in US - Discus r Us, Kenny etc let me know(PM)...i need to get a big red one...and we can discuss splitting shipping proportionally.

JLW

CCA Members
Hahah, Dhaval, yes, I realise that Malaysia is in Asia (the part after "Mal" tends to give that away! :). It's not even geographically that far from Singapore, but the culture is much different than typical southeast Asian, and that reflects in the fish.

The cultural balance between East and West is kind of reflected in the fish - it's a compromise between quality and "bling."

Thai

Members
Hans has good stuff...i have some from him...they are hardy...

WC straight from tap in winter is pain....due to micro bubbles...other than that WCs are fine with prime...if you are starting from juvies, i recommend starting in may...when weather is warmer and ...

based on color, Asian/Malaysian discus seem far superior to me...but its a personal choice....@JLW. Josh..singapore and Malaysia both are in Asia...other than that i agree with your post completely, but would be willing to risk mixing strains...:p

if anyone is planning to purchase from a asian source in US - Discus r Us, Kenny etc let me know(PM)...i need to get a big red one...and we can discuss splitting shipping proportionally.
Hey not sure if you've already found what you're looking for but I just put in an order for 5 Penang Eruptions, shipment is due mid month and I wouldn't mind it if you piggy backed off my shipment, one more fish wouldn't hurt, Im in Alexandria