• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Disaster at Airport

Well I tried to carry on 6 of my african cichlids in my carry on bag and my plan failed miserably. I did have a backup plan and that was actually executed perfectly. Here is the story:

I wanted to carry on as many africans as i could fit in my carry on bag because Im trying to transport my tank of 15 fish from MD to CO. I bought a nice carry on duffel that I could squeez 6 large fish bags in that were big enough to hold these 5-6 inch cichlids. I didnt double bag them though which was my first mistake. I also didnt put the fish in any styros, i just used 2 cardboard boxes that I fitted nicely in my duffel and I was able to squeeze 3 bags in each box. When I got to security i notified the tsa people that I had live fish and they were unsure of what to do. They called a couple supervisors who proceeded to tell me that I could not go through with them. While all this is happening I notice the bottom of my duffel is wet. I open my duffel and at least one bag is leaking because one of the cardboard boxes is all wet and water is starting to soak onto the security floor. While this is happening i notice that the bag that was leaking is starting to lose water quickly and the fish inside needed to be moved, so I start doing emergency bag work with the poor fish. Then, another tsa officer, the main guy i guess since he was dressed differently, walks up and just stares down at me as im trying to save one of my fish. He of course said no to my fish even after I tell him about rule about bringing live fish thru security. I even show him the slip from their website that says live fish are ok.

Anyway i know i didnt help the cause with the mess i made. I saw all the officers wiping the floor with towels as i left the scene, I felt so bad.

Thankfully, I was able to get the fish out of the leaking bag and into another bag and I also had to do this to another fish aswell. I was also able to give my duffel to my brother who waited for me in case something like this went wrong. I thought one of the fish was going to die when i handed the duffel to my brother and then I had to run down thru security again to catch my flight. I just barely made it.

I also checked just 1 fish in one of my checked bags by putting him in a styro, and to my surprise it arrived in Denver still in my bag and unharmed.

When I landed my mom texted me that she got all my fish safely back into my tank at home in MD. I was so relieved.:)

So no fish died on this crazy day and I did learn alot from what happened. I think Im best just shipping my fish out from MD to CO instead of taking them on a flight with me. hahaha

yeah glad you didnt lose fish but i tell its makes no sense for you to have documentation from TSA website and then they dont even acknowledge it on site.

verbal

CCA Members
I am glad there weren't any losses. It is a good thing you had a back-up plan.

Did you double bag the fish that were checked?

mab

Members
I always bring fish back from my Amazon collecting trips and with the rule change it means they now travel in my checked bags. Everything that can goes into breather bags, then into tube socks, and finally in a styro. Cories (and other fish notorious for puncturing bags) get triple bagged in 3 mil bags, then into the styro. I've learned over the years from some failures and now have very good results. One little trick I use with regular bags is to seal the corners of the first bag so the fish don't puncture that first bag when they dive into the corner!!

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
Good to hear all the fish made it, Matt. Sounds like a real PITA....

dogofwar

CCA Members
  • Go to www.tsa.gov
  • Got to the "When I Fly,Can I Bring My...?" part of their home page (on the right)
  • Type in "live fish"
  • A screen will pop up with the following guidance:
Live fish must be transported in a clear, plastic, spill proof container. In this case, the container may be larger than 3.4 ounces. A Transportation Security Officer will visually inspect your live fish at the checkpoint.

Matt

Where is this info on the TSA site? I can't find any.

dogofwar

CCA Members
I would have just checked them all in my luggage...and double bagged them (and trash bagged them in the styro).

I'm tempted to start flying with a fish in a bag wherever I go now... and the page printed from the TSA website ;)

Matt

Well I tried to carry on 6 of my african cichlids in my carry on bag and my plan failed miserably. I did have a backup plan and that was actually executed perfectly. Here is the story:

I wanted to carry on as many africans as i could fit in my carry on bag because Im trying to transport my tank of 15 fish from MD to CO. I bought a nice carry on duffel that I could squeez 6 large fish bags in that were big enough to hold these 5-6 inch cichlids. I didnt double bag them though which was my first mistake. I also didnt put the fish in any styros, i just used 2 cardboard boxes that I fitted nicely in my duffel and I was able to squeeze 3 bags in each box. When I got to security i notified the tsa people that I had live fish and they were unsure of what to do. They called a couple supervisors who proceeded to tell me that I could not go through with them. While all this is happening I notice the bottom of my duffel is wet. I open my duffel and at least one bag is leaking because one of the cardboard boxes is all wet and water is starting to soak onto the security floor. While this is happening i notice that the bag that was leaking is starting to lose water quickly and the fish inside needed to be moved, so I start doing emergency bag work with the poor fish. Then, another tsa officer, the main guy i guess since he was dressed differently, walks up and just stares down at me as im trying to save one of my fish. He of course said no to my fish even after I tell him about rule about bringing live fish thru security. I even show him the slip from their website that says live fish are ok.

Anyway i know i didnt help the cause with the mess i made. I saw all the officers wiping the floor with towels as i left the scene, I felt so bad.

Thankfully, I was able to get the fish out of the leaking bag and into another bag and I also had to do this to another fish aswell. I was also able to give my duffel to my brother who waited for me in case something like this went wrong. I thought one of the fish was going to die when i handed the duffel to my brother and then I had to run down thru security again to catch my flight. I just barely made it.

I also checked just 1 fish in one of my checked bags by putting him in a styro, and to my surprise it arrived in Denver still in my bag and unharmed.

When I landed my mom texted me that she got all my fish safely back into my tank at home in MD. I was so relieved.:)

So no fish died on this crazy day and I did learn alot from what happened. I think Im best just shipping my fish out from MD to CO instead of taking them on a flight with me. hahaha

JLW

CCA Members
I would point out that the regulations state that the containers need to be spill proof. As one of the bags was actually leaking, I think they may have been in the right to reject the fish. That could be a real pain in the $#@( on a plane.

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
The next time I fly with a fish I plan on having the TSA site up on my IPhone and ready with the regs.

dogofwar

CCA Members
I agree, Josh.

The airlines will yank a leaking checked bag (with bags of fish...or whatever) in a moment.

Glad everything ended OK...

Matt

I would point out that the regulations state that the containers need to be spill proof. As one of the bags was actually leaking, I think they may have been in the right to reject the fish. That could be a real pain in the $#@( on a plane.

JLW

CCA Members
As am I.

I would suggest double or even triple bagging fish for flight. At the most pragmatic level, there's probably not a source of new bags and dechlorinated water on your flight, so if your fish do leak -- even ignoring the annoyance it would cause the airline -- your fish will probably not make it.