• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Did Everybody Just feel that?

YSS

Members
Wife is going home to check things out. Hope everything is ok. I want to go home, but I am afraid everyone is on the road as well.

Leffler817

CCA Members
I had a second grade class at the time. They took it like champs! I was very impressed with them. It's only the first day of school to boot!!!

maddog10

Members
Was in a car when it hit, thought my driver was drunk.

Will check on all the stuff in the CCA shed when I get home tonight.
Then I will check on the tanks in my basement. Hope everything survived.

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
2.8 aftershock 5 mins after the first one down in VA. Couldn't feel it here.

Indeed, traffic sucks... Horribly.

londonloco

Members
I was driving back from taking my son to football practice, my brother called from NJ, he felt it, I didn't. My neighbors did, said it felt like when the helicopters are coming into Quantico. Don (my DH), was in a meeting in a Rossilyn high rise, said the whole building shook. Don's been in earthquakes in Japan and we've both been in 6.7's in CA. Don said it was pretty alarming, even for "just a 5.9" I felt nothing in Manassas, missed it all....:blush: OH, and all of my tanks are fine, not dirty, nothing shook enough.

UNCLERUCKUS

"THE ALL POWERFUL Q !!
HIT HERE AND I WAS HEADING TO A EXIT. I WORK ON THE BOTTOM FLOOR I DIDNT WANT TO BE UNDER ANYTHING. WHILE FOLKS WERE SAYING "WHATS THAT?" I WAS THINKING " GOTTA GET OUTTA HERE NOW!"
MY COWORKERS ASKED WHY I LEFT THEM AND I WAS LIKE SOMEBODY HAS TO SHOW THE DOGS WHERE TO SNIFF FOR THE SLOW PEOPLE. :D

OUR BOSS CAME AROUND AFTERWARDS WITH A "WHAT TO DO IF" TALKING ABOUT WE SHOULD ALL GO OUTSIDE :angry3:. TOO LATE COMMON SENSE ALREADY KICKED IN .;)

maddog10

Members
Looks like everything in the CCA shed survived.

I had lots of water on the floor in my fishroom and the PVC airloop got disconnected at a joint (just like I should).

Tried to feed the fish and they were like screw you,we are gonna stay right here on the bottom of the tank.

chriscoli

Administrator
I had a minor rockslide in my mbuna tank, but that's it. Given how my office building was shaking, I had visions of cleaning up water on the floor when I got home...

WendyFish

Members
As ever, my fish keep me calm. I walked to the middle of my office away from anything that could fall on me and kept an eye on my nano should any water or (worse) fish splash out. Not a drop. I figured they would go to ground for awhile after that but they appeared totally nonchalant about it.

Got expelled from the building and ran home to check on tanks. No problems.

Came back and they closed our building for the day. My colleagues and I did the only thing reasonable and decided to ride out the chaos at a local bar. No kidding, a van caught fire near the side of it and we were evacuated from our second building of the day. :eek:

Strange times.

iamzrad

Members
My VA office is in Dulles/Sterling. I was in the hallway setting up a tradeshow booth and my coworker says, "What the hell is that noise?!".
At first I thought it was the AC units on the roof starting to cave in OR a plane. Since I can see the control tower of Dulles Airport from my parking lot, I thought a plane was flying extremely low, or worse.........

Then the ground started to shake and I was like, "um, yeah that's an earthquake" and I hauled out of the building.

Come back to my office room and practically every overhead door sill has a crack going down in.

MonteSS

Members
I had just sat down in a resturaunt abourt 15 miles from the epicenter. Shuck pretty good and heard glasses and plates crashing. Everyone went outside. Some people were really upset. Have to admit I lost my appetite.

Everything fine at home.

Just had a little aftershock about 8:10pm

...Bill

I was walking along the beach at Ocean City and missed all the shaking. Rejoined the group of people I was sitting with and they were hysterical -- and worried about a tsunami. I pulled out my "I used to work for FEMA" and reassured them we were safe from a tsunami.

Then texted a neighbor to check on status of power and to the check tanks. I, too, had visions of a rock slide tha' would take out my peacock tank.

Fortunately, all is well. But I do think my fish are pretty freaked now that I'm home and everyone is hiding.

And Chris T. -- I'm from California and the Loma Prieta earthquake almost brought down a whole VA hospital on my desk. It's the main reason I do not any longer live in that freakin' state. And now we're getting earthquakes here. . . Well, that's not nice.

mrkillie

Members
Felt it in NJ.
Two friends in Upstate NY felt it up there.

Want to know how quick the tremors move?
I was on the phone with Andrew who told me he just felt an earthquake...30 seconds later I felt it.

First one I have ever felt.
Lets do it again!

First one I ever felt was the Ardsley, NY quake in 2001. I was living in Orange Cty, NY and the bed shook that morning (not in a good way!). Robin asked me "what was that?" I said convincingly "earthquake", then quickly got up and looked in the direction of the Indian Point Nuke plant, because that earthquake was about 10 days after 9/11.

mchambers

Former CCA member
My tanks were fine, as my teenage son said. One of my Bolivian rams paid got excited and laid eggs on a rock, but that's not all that new.

There is water in the middle of my laundry room floor, but a neighbor who is a structural engineer thinks it's from ground water. Of course, we've never had water in our basement in 21 years, but as long as my tanks are intact, I'm okay.

iamzrad

Members
I had just sat down in a resturaunt abourt 15 miles from the epicenter. Shuck pretty good and heard glasses and plates crashing. Everyone went outside. Some people were really upset. Have to admit I lost my appetite.

Everything fine at home.

Just had a little aftershock about 8:10pm

...Bill

That's what I heard from that area. My company is doing work at North Anna nuclear plant, I was there last month, and that's the first thing I thought of when they said it was 3mi away from Mineral. Scared me a little.

longstocking

Members
I have been through some pretty bad ones. 1989, Northridge! REALLY BAD! and a bunch of smaller ones.

I just want to say one thing... for everyones safety, if there is ever a bigger one. Growing up in California you learn these things.... do not run outside during the earthquake. You have a better chance of getting hit with flying objects than being inside. So if there is another one, simply stay put and go to the ground ( try to get under something ). Cover your head and face. A desk/table will work. If you are in bed cover your head with a pillow. Basically... moving is the worst thing you can do.

I knew exactly what it was.... but I must say for small ones I usually just keep doing what I am doing... but this one once it got more violent I went under a door. This was about as big as I can take them. Any bigger people get hurt, I freak out :lol: and crystal gets broken :angry3: !

Check all of your stands and the seals on your tanks. They might not have busted but they can weaken.

Glad everyone is ok and everyones fish are too :jumpy:

Last edited: