• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Cryptoheros updates (Panamensis & Nanoluteus)

Aqua410

Members
I got around to combining my grow outs into a single tank and doing a rescape to mix up territories. These shots are panamensis, I'll add some of the Nanoluteus sooner or later.

I got the panemensis from one of our guest speakers a few months ago. He was a guy from Chicago I think? Anyway, he said that this was a very colorful strain of these fish and he wasn't exaggerating. The pinks are really coming in now and they have tons of neon spangling going on very nice.

Aqua410

Members
Once they grow out and pair off I'll be moving them to a larger tank with some other smaller centrals and do a rocky riverscape biotope kind of like this but more true to a CA river with mostly rocks and branches and def no Anubias. I'm going to focus more next year on biotope style tanks. I have also been growing out a bunch of SA fish in a tank next to this so I can do an Amazon style biotope for large fish. I am not in a place to have large central american "communities" now but I'm finding these mid sized CA fish to be awesome. I believe these will all max out around 4-6" so they certainly wont stay in a 55 in these numbers but will be manageable as a group in maybe a 125 or so.

chriscoli

Administrator
They look great! I also got some panamensis from that same speaker. Mine are starting to show color.

Aqua410

Members
Thanks for the kind words. The first night after combining the two groups the nanos were really colored down and there was some pushing in shoving as territories were staked out. The fish have all settled and are coexisting peacefully. Here is the dom male nano. These blue eyed beauties are really awesome. I really need to clean my glass :eek:

jonclark96

Past CCA President
Make sure to keep an eye on them. I have never had good luck keeping nanos with any other cichlid species. They are pretty docile in my experience and are easily out-competed for food, territories, etc.