• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Concrete block and 2x4 aquarium stand

IndianaSam

CCA Members
Hi all,

In order to squeeze a few more tanks into my limited space, I'm thinking of throwing together a DIY stand with the materials specified in the title.

It's going to be two-tiered and about 48" long on the top shelf and 48" - 2x concrete block length on the bottom shelf with 3 2x4s going across.

I want to put 2 - 20g high tanks on the top, 1 - 10g on the bottom in a forward facing orientation and 2 - 10g in a side facing orientation.

Here's my question, do you think I need to put blocks in the center too to support the middle where the 20g highs meet? I'd prefer not to do so, but I'd also like it not to bow downwards in the middle of the top shelf. I wouldn't care at all if I had a 48" tank on the top because all the corners would have support.

Anyway, any advice would be appreciated.

Sam

Jeromee

Members
Hi all,

In order to squeeze a few more tanks into my limited space, I'm thinking of throwing together a DIY stand with the materials specified in the title.

It's going to be two-tiered and about 48" long on the top shelf and 48" - 2x concrete block length on the bottom shelf with 3 2x4s going across.

I want to put 2 - 20g high tanks on the top, 1 - 10g on the bottom in a forward facing orientation and 2 - 10g in a side facing orientation.

Here's my question, do you think I need to put blocks in the center too to support the middle where the 20g highs meet? I'd prefer not to do so, but I'd also like it not to bow downwards in the middle of the top shelf. I wouldn't care at all if I had a 48" tank on the top because all the corners would have support.

Anyway, any advice would be appreciated.

Sam
I've done this a decent amount with no issues. I've used 20hs and 40L. Aquarium co-op has videos on it. I've never needed blocks in the middle