• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Clown Loaches in 125G

abcdefghi

Members
Realistically, is it OK to keep Clown Loaches in a 125G tank? And if so, how many? I know they need to ideally be in a group of at least 5, but is that too many for a 125G? I am trying to decide if I want to switch things up a little and think that the Clowns would go well in my tank. At the moment I have 6 x Zebra angels, 10 rummy nose tetras, 3 or 4 random tetras (survivors from earlier groups), 2 x BN pleco (I'd likely rehome these) and I think 4 or 5 surviving cory cats (these would move to a 20G tank).

So, would Clowns work in there with it ultimately being just the 6 angels and the tetras as tank mates? And, as I first wrote, if so, is 5 OK or too many?

Thanks.

Freakgecko

Members
5 clown loaches in a 6’ 125 gallon would be just fine, however, they’re very rude and boisterous fish. My lone loach (will get a bigger group down the road a ways) is constantly pestering my uaru. Honestly, I much prefer my megalechis thoracatum (hoplo catfish) over my clown loach personally. The clown loach definitely has a goofy personality that is fun though

Frank Cowherd

Global Moderators
Staff member
I have a group of clown loaches (5) in a 180 with angels, gouramis, rams, hillstream loaches, ancistrus and some large flying foxes. The clowns are big and never hassle and of the other fish. The clowns basically stick together.

abcdefghi

Members
Well, picked up 5 the other day and they are currently quarantining. Had them a few days now and all 5 seem healthy and active.

abcdefghi

Members
The clicking noise they make is a new thing, none of my other fish make any (noticeable) sounds, so hearing these little guys make a clicking is neat.