• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Closing Store, Liquidation Sale!

iamzrad

Members
Who wants to plan a trip tomorrow?
I plan on stopping by and filling up on some plants and such.

Give me a shout (p/m)

SubMariner

Master Jedi & Past VP
Andrew, I am so sorry this had to happen.

I did not know about this until Matt called me around 1pm today.

I was Shocked! As soon as Matt told me I went straight to Scales to give my support and to see if there was anything I could do to help.

The moment I walked in Scales today, a couple of the girls that work there, who know me as one of the original customers almost began to cry. They said, "Richard, OMG you are about to make us cry because you are like family to us and we feel so bad about the situation."

I felt there pain and I asked them what I could do to help and they said,"Buy as much as you can." And so I did...
By the way, I ended up spending close to $500 dollars today for my friends.

This is a Sad Day for our Fish community.:(

Let me tell you something, Scales will always be one of the Best Local Fish Stores that I have ever been apart of. They influenced me to be apart of the Capital Cichlid Organization and taught me all about African Cichlid Peacocks.

Thank you Andrew and Jim for taking the Business risk to create something wonderful and ideal for us fish geeks and for the rest of the world to enjoy.

Goodbye Scales,

Richard

rsretep

Members
andrew so sorry to hear of the store closing...i echo all statements by saying the cleanest and one of the best stores i have had the priviledge of shopping in...bro good luck with all future endeavors....your store will be greatly missed :(:(:(:(:(:(:(

hope to continue to see you at the meetings.....

dogofwar

CCA Members
I too am really sad to see such a good store close!

I dropped by this afternoon and stocked up. And I'll probably be back. Help them clear out their stock. There are only 2 weeks!

What other store has so many cichlids, types of plecos and other rare cats? So many pirahna's and other unusual fish?

What other store is so clean?

What other store quranatines the way that SCALES does?

Chalk it up to being in a tough industry in tough economic times.

I truly hope the best for Andrew and the rest of the crew at SCALES!

Support your LFS...or your local cichlid selection will consist of the (ick covered) jelly bean parrot, the tank of mixed Africans, or the pacus (that the clerk says are sicklids) at Wal-Mart.

Matt

Cartel

Members
I stopped by after work today and picked up a few things. I should have got alot more things but I have no idea why I didnt get them....im sure they wont be there tomorrow my luck.

Lively

Members
I too am really sad to see such a good store close!

I dropped by this afternoon and stocked up. And I'll probably be back. Help them clear out their stock. There are only 2 weeks!

What other store has so many cichlids, types of plecos and other rare cats? So many pirahna's and other unusual fish?

What other store is so clean?

What other store quranatines the way that SCALES does?

Chalk it up to being in a tough industry in tough economic times.

I truly hope the best for Andrew and the rest of the crew at SCALES!

Support your LFS...or your local cichlid selection will consist of the (ick covered) jelly bean parrot, the tank of mixed Africans, or the pacus (that the clerk says are sicklids) at Wal-Mart.

Matt

My #1 complaint of living where I do, no LFS! Minimum 2 hour round trip driving. I really wish I had known about Scales and been able to see it in all it's glory.

kbeaudean

Members
Sorry to hear you are closing! We do make it a point to stop in once a month as we live in Elkton. Very nice store and friendly staff. GOOD LUCK!!

George

CCA Charter Member and person in charge of the we
You are a tough trip for me so you didn't often see me. I almost feel like apologizing.

The hobby in our area is going to take a big hit at the end of the month.

I hope this does mean you will be at CCA meetings. I like your company.

You need to scrape up a few bucks and come to Peru with me to drown your sorrows:jumpy:. My ticket to Lima on Delta was under $500 and Lima to Iquitos was $148. The Amazon gets closer and cheaper all the time. This will be the cheapest of my 9 trips so far. Scientists actually get a discount from Devon and you might qualify:lol:.

George

George

iamzrad

Members
Stopped in today and picked up some things.
Sad to see the store closing.

But I did notice a lot of the tanks marked, "Sold to Frank."

Nice!

fishmeds

Members
We spent almost $1,500 today on fish which I have dreamed of buying for years but never did because of price. We got some great condition tanks, filters, HO lights, sponges, etc...if you haven't gone yet, go soon as everything is moving ridiculously fast and there are great deals!

With that said, I'm still terribly sorry to hear Scales is closing. The facility they have is clean, bright, well organized and their methods of treating livestock is so far ahead of the crowd. I really don't know where I will get live fish but its such a bummer seeing Scales close its doors. Their method of producing livestock results in fish which are much, much healthier and acclimated to local water. The downside is that 1) this means the fish sits in the shop for at least a few weeks and 2) the additional time, energy and food results in you having more money in your fish so you need to sell for more. Most fishkeeoers don't take these things into consideration...for the vast majority of people here, they do as this is a forum with a wealth of knowledge. Sadly, there aren't enough of us to support the overhead of a larger company and most weekend warriors want their megamart fish despite the risks and complications. I am so sorry to see Scales go :(

Andrew & Jim,

as you know I was today at the store and all I can say..........is nothing more as I said today.

It makes our hart bleed, we know we lost another good customer but we hope not to loose 2 friends,

Joanne & Hans

cholile

Members
fishmeds,

I can't say for sure, but I do not think the model Scales set up was flawed. Indeed, I think it was a shining example of the way to not only build a first class store, but also to dominate a region by offering only the very best. While I don't know the specifics of their store in particular, I do know they opened only a few years ago. It takes a while for a business to be profitable and any well run business will require significant loans early on. But right now the market is irrational and the hardest hit businesses are small businesses, including some of the very best. If they, like so many others, couldn't procure a loan then it doesn't matter how stable and potentially-profitable their store is. Scales may very well represent the very problem many quality businesses are facing. In times like these the good fall with the bad. Very sad.

fishmeds

Members
There was no flaw at all to their model; it's the model that we, as a company, want to mimic. Scales is the prime example of good, honest, and ethical business. They produced healthy livestock that was so far ahead of their competition because they cared. We've bought exotic plecos from their which we never would have bought from anyone else as most stores sell them in terrible condition. The employees there are straight shooting, some of the nicest and honest people I have ever met, and they do not mislead customers. Most other stores will say what needs to be said to make a sale; Scales will say the truth even if it means not making the sale. Additionally, unlike virtually other fish store, there was a positive atmosphere which is appropriate for young children. If I had the money, I would invest in their company as a store like their's is in my opinion critical to the hobby of fishkeeping. Maryland needs a store like Scales to continue to bring the younger generation into fishkeeping and to provide seasoned fishkeepers with a reliable and healthy source of fish. We are so, so sad to see Scales go. If you can, go to Scales and take advantage of great sales and help them liquidate on time.

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
Sad News

All of us at Tropical Fish World are sorry to hear the news of Scales closing. Many of us frequented the store. Quality fish stores compliment each other while furthering the hobby of keeping tropical fish. Losing one hurts us all! If we can be of any help, please feel free to give us a call.

Jim & Andrew