• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Cichlid Parents

dogofwar

CCA Members
One of the reasons I enjoy cichlids - and primarily New World cichlids ;) - so much is the parental care that they demonstrate.

Was just watching a 55g in my fishroom that has two pairs of Cichlasoma dimerus "Bella Union" and three pikes (Crenicichla) from Rio Cuaro in Uruguay.

One of the pairs of dimerus - an old guy who I collected I think 4 years ago - was working with his wife to guard a cloud of fry in the front corner of the tank. Every now and again, one of the pikes would pop out from behind the sponge filter to try to grab a fry or two. The male - probably a 6-7" fish - huddled over the fry while the female - 5" or so - kept and eye on the pike behind the filter...and the other fish. Then they'd switch for awhile. That's the life they live in the wild!

Meanwhile, in a 40B a pair of Neetroplus ("Neets") in full breeding color (black with a white stripe) have a cloud of fry. Even a twitch from the other Neets in the tank (who are in regular gray with black stripe coloration) gets a bite from the breeding pair. I've never been able to keep anything else with Neets. And I've tried... I never get tired of watching this stuff :)

What are your favorite cichlid parent stories?

Matt

CSnyder00

Bearded Wonder
My Red Jewel cichlids were such good parents. From the time they laid their first eggs, they were AMAZING parents. The male and female switched off fanning and guarding. They had all the other fish pushed to the top corners of the tank. Once the fry hatched, I had to move the other fish. I also had to watch my hand when doing water changes, as I'd get a hard bite if I got anywhere close. They would hatch nearly every egg and they kept all of the fry alive. Wrigglers were very well taken care of and moved from pit to pit and cave to cave until they were free swimming. They would feed the fry with small chewed up pieces pushed through their gills and protect to the death. They were a great set of parents. So good that I had to get rid of them because the local stores were overrun with fry and I couldn't get rid of them quick enough.

MomandDadwithFry.jpg

Last edited:

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
My aequidens patricki go through the motions every month or so. They lay eggs on the far right of my 8ft tank, amd when their cloud of fry appear, all other fish are occupying the left five feet of the tank. This lasts for a week or so before the other cichlids, catfish, and tetras tire of living in cramped quarters.