• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Christmas Moss, plants etc.

Jefft

Members
At our meeting/auction I stepped past the Rachel's table full of M. Driftwood the packages of Christmas Moss and other plants whose names I cannot pronounce or spell for that matter. Why? I have been worried about what effect wood will have on my PH. I hear things like Co2, grow lights, lighting needs etc. tossed around by you Vets. I have just now gotten to the point where I am comfortable caring for my tanks and fish. That said I still come running to this forum for questions to be answered and advice given. Co2 cannisters, grow lights, lighting needs seemingly adds (in my mind) more confusion and expense than I was/am prepared to deal with. On the drive home from the meeting two things stuck in my head, Christmas Moss and M.Driftwood. When I reached home I found my fingers searching out images of Christmas Moss online.
End result I loved the looks of tanks I found with Christmas Moss covering the back of the tank. I also have found I really like the look of the M.Driftwood pieces intruding down into a tank like a fallen tree branch dipping into the water. Currently, for use in my tanks I always purchase large swords and toss them in letting them hang down into the tank I love this look. My plecos will suck the leaves threadbare. It also adds neat shadowing effects both in the full light of my LEDs and with the blue moon settings on at night.
picture.php

This picture should give a little idea what my tank currently looks like. I was thinking of shifting over to a black substrate material in the next for the bottom of my tank in the next few days. Also rather than hang the swords upside down in my tanks replacing them with some nice driftwood pieces. and maybe consider doing something to get that lush green and alive back wall of the tank. What ideas and suggestions do ya'll have? How hard would it be to grow this stuff up the back of my tank? Expense? Equipment? Health benefits to the fish?

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
Looks good, Jeff. :)

I 'd say the biggest concern would be the differences in pH. It looks like you have crushed coral in with Africans. Crushed coral will harden the water and raise pH.

Wood tends to have the opposite effect. It will soften your water a bit as well as add tannins, which lower your pH.

I'm pretty sure that both swords and java/Christmas moss prefer sub 7.5 pH, but are pretty flexible. They may not thrive, but so long as your pH isn't too crazy, should do ok.

The other concern is your mbuna going to town on your plants... never had any real success with plants and mbuna other than anubias and java moss (with fry).

Plenipotentiary-at-large
For someone seemingly on a budget you're pretty cavalier with Amazon swords, but if it works for you, rock on. Wood won't soften the water forever - once the tannins leech out I believe it's impact slows down considerably. I also imagine that the coral has a much more powerful/enduring effect on water chemistry than a couple pieces of wood, and baking soda is really cheap if that's not the case.

Like Tony says, moss might get eaten as it doesn't grow so fast - you might have better luck with guppy grass which grows like weeds and will thrive at 7.6 - 7.8 pH. Happy to give you a wad of it at the next meeting if you wish, though it won't likely captivate you the way the moss has.

aFISHo

Members
The way you're trying to keep your cichlids will never be easy.

You want the environment you create to cultivate the biological needs of the animals/plants you are trying to keep. I would never put drift wood in an African Tank. Everything in your tank should raise your pH and harden your water.

Most plants will not work in African Tanks because: Plants don't tolerate hard water well, and Africans like to play with and eat plants, and plants dont like that. Stick to Annubias and java fern. They taste bad. Grow them out before you give them to your cichlids and you might as well let them root themselves.

Unless you are a massocist. Call me crazy, lazy and cheap but I like my tanks to always look and work perfectly with minimum effort. You can't have that and set yourself up for failure at the same time.

If you want plants, stick to small bodied tetras.

aFISHo

Members
And stay away from CO2. It's completely unnecessary.

I've grown some fantastic plant tanks, a meadow of leleopsis with just proper lighting, substrate and water.

Fertilizers are a waste of money. CO2 is going to wreak havoc on your pH, and it's a great way to suffocate your fish.

I can tell you how to make a bullet proof plant tank if you're interested.

Jefft

Members
Tony, Adam, Samuel thank you much for your input. Samuel, I don't know anyone who isn't on a budget of some sorts. I made the mistakes on my original investments in fish and tanks when I entered the hobby ($1,200.00 spent for a 75g and wood stand with the equipment.) Since, in the spirit of once bitten twice shy I tend to watch the wallet a little more closely looking carefully for solid deals, or trades from which I can gain that which is useful to me for that which I am not able to use right now. Cavalier? No I just try to budget in a little greenery once every two months or so. While your comment seems condescending in it's nature I will none the less read between the lines and "hear" that I could save more by not using the swords as decor in my tanks. So again thanks.

Plenipotentiary-at-large
Naw

Condescending from me is more like getting hit by a truck - you'll know it if it happens. And anyway, I admire allegiance to aesthetics, and as this whole forum is dedicated to indulgence, I say again, rock on.

Plants have feelings too though... :D

Jeff, though I don't think that you should put in plants with this particular tank, if you are interested in learning how to aquascape with plants and do it properly with CO2, ferts, and hardscape, come to a GWAPA meeting (www.gwapa.org). We have some of the best plant growers and aquascapers in the nation. They give talks a lot and even talk at the prestigious AGA conventions.

Arlene