• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Chiller info

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
Guys this is in a school
The tank gets too warm during the summer and on weekends when they turn the ac off.

Spine

Members
If there is some one there or nearby who could put them in, you could freeze water in some 2liter soda bottles and add them to the tank in the afternoon and evening.

You could run a fan over top of the tank. Lots of schools have those big 6ft tall fans on wheels, I think that would work. Other than that he will have to look around for a used ¼hp-½hp chiller, they aren't cheap. You would want to look at one of the saltwater sites for sale sections to find one.

maddog10

Members
Ideally, a 150 gallon tank should take a 1/4hp chiller. I have used a 1/5hp on a 125 without any issues. You can get an in-line model that either needs to be plumbed into the return line from the filter or requires a separate pump. I have a drop-in model that I use with sumps and wet/dry filters. Drop-ins are a little bit cheaper. You will also need a temperature controller, some models have them built-in. I used a stand alone controller.

Chillers are very expensive, a new 1/5hp drop-in w/controller is about $780.

I am willing to sell mine (have not used it in years) for $200, but I am not sure if the controller is working properly (will have to try and test it out).

Lively

Members
You really need a chiller. Post on craigs list - if you mention it is for a school aquarium people will either give you what they were selling or, they will sell it to you on the cheaper side. Since we're coming into winter, you have some time :)

Fan might drop it enough, but the most effective way to use it is directly on the water - evaporation would become an issue.

bschuhart

Members
Pat, I think things settled down in the tank at school. I lost all the trewavasae's and 9 of the demasoni's. All of the Yellow Labs and Caroli's look OK. Oh, there are about 6 baby demasoni's....maybe they will repopulate. I'm going to write a few chiller manufacturers and see if the would donate or sell me one for cost... but then there's the issue of the pump. My system has a Iwaki 55 rated at 1080 GPH @ a 4ft head. I wonder what the accual flow is after going through the filters. I also have a spare Little Giant rated at 940 GPH with a 5ft head that I could use but would need to filter the intake if I used that as a separate loop going throught the chiller.