• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Center Brace for 40g long?

halak

Members
I picked up a 40 gallon long tank (48" long) which has no center brace. I cannot tell if there used to be one. Does anyone know if there is supposed to be one? If so, I guess I would need to get one just to be on the safe side. Thanks!

Marz

Administrator
Staff member
From Google search, looks like it comes with center brace. Does it have a brace at all? Maybe it was a reptile tank?

APF10400__78822.1421526455.JPG

JLW

CCA Members
Some of the very older ones will not have a centre brace. Probably not needed when they're that low -- back when they used thicker glass, anyhow. :)

You should be able to see where it would have been attached on the top. Also, is there a centrebrace on the bottom?

halak

Members
i just checked, and there is no center brace at the bottom. So, I don't think it's needed at the top then either.

FishEggs

If the glass is really 1/2" thick it is an old tank and it didnt have a center brace. One is not needed for that size tank with glass that thick.

JLW

CCA Members
I'd be less worried about a tank that old leaking than a brand new one off the Petco shelf.... :p

halak

Members
Okay, I have decided to get a different tank. I will post this one with stand, top, and light up for sale. Maybe I will check if it holds water first, however.

Freakgecko

Members
Okay, I have decided to get a different tank. I will post this one with stand, top, and light up for sale. Maybe I will check if it holds water first, however.
Why? Like Josh said, tanks used to be built way more solid than they are today

halak

Members
It seems that the tank should be resealed to make it safe, and I'm not up to that job. But if you'd like the tank, let me know. I paid $80 for the setup.

Freakgecko

Members
It seems that the tank should be resealed to make it safe, and I'm not up to that job. But if you'd like the tank, let me know. I paid $80 for the setup.
If the seems look fine, then there’s no worry. I’ve had a 4 year old tank leak before lol

FishEggs

I have an old 75 gallon that I've had for 11 years and it was an old tank when I got it. Has much thicker glass than the new ones today. Never resealed it yet and have had no problems with it except for all the scratches.