• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Brine hatching dish...

dogofwar

CCA Members
I haven't hatched brine in years. Back then I used inverted 2L bottles.

I switched to feeding fry with Golden Pearls...and haven't looked back to the mess, time, expense of other stuff...

Matt

JasonC

Members
I'm currently using a 1L bottle (i have *very* low volume needs), and am debating over whether to start another 1L for alternating days, or possibly trying out the dish. That being said, you have piqued my interest a little w/ the golden pearls. Did some research and it appears you can get this stuff for about half the price of a comparable volume of Grade A brine shrimp eggs? How does it store? Just keep it dry, or refrigerate/freeze? Also I notice that this circulates in the water column. Do you have issues with convincing fry that it is edible, or does it mimic live food enough that the hunting instinct is triggered reliably? How do you tend to feed? Target feeding, or broadcasting across the tank for anybody/everybody? How easy is it to overfeed and cause spoilage in the tank?

Definitely interested in a cheaper and easier method to feed fry than BBS!

I haven't hatched brine in years. Back then I used inverted 2L bottles.

I switched to feeding fry with Golden Pearls...and haven't looked back to the mess, time, expense of other stuff...

Matt

dogofwar

CCA Members
I just feed Golden Pearls like powdered flake. For really small fry, I mix some in a little water, suck it into an airline and blow it down to them...

It comes in a sealed bag. I keep it in a little tupperware thing in my fishroom.

Couldn't be easier...and seems to work better than First Bites from Hikari, I think.

Matt

rsretep

Members
I also use golden pearls, my fry seem to do better with it then strictly BBS, although I still hatch BBS on my off days I use golden pearls with great results

mchambers

Former CCA member
I use Golden Pearls and microworms. I keep the large bag of Golden Pearls in the freezer and keep a smaller container near the tanks. Sometimes I mix a small bit of GP with water in a plastic bottle and keep it in the refrigerator, and use an eye dropper to dispense them; other times I just put the powder on top of the water. I have not noticed any issues with water quality, but I usually do a fair amount of water changes in fry tanks.

verbal

CCA Members
I just feed Golden Pearls like powdered flake. For really small fry, I mix some in a little water, suck it into an airline and blow it down to them...

It comes in a sealed bag. I keep it in a little tupperware thing in my fishroom.

Couldn't be easier...and seems to work better than First Bites from Hikari, I think.

Matt

I have used Golden Pearls a fair amount and First bites once or twice. I think the advantage is Golden Pearls are neutrally buoyant, where I did not notice that with First Bites(seemed to float more). For top feeders like livebearers or danios that may not make much of a difference. However for cichlid and catfish fry, I think it is a big advantage.

JasonC

Members
Got the 300-500 micron "artemia replacement" Golden pearls 'cause that is what Brineshrimpdirect.com said was the appropriate replacement for BBS... but they look way to big for newly free-swimming fry that are normally able to take BBS.

Is this the size that you all use, or should I look at another size?

Must say that the adult fish in the tank *are* fans of the GP's though. cool :)

JasonC

Members
Bought the 50-100micron size. well see if that works any better. Hopefully the batch of eggs in the tank right now will hatch in a few days to give it a go.

JasonC

Members
Apistogramma Baenschi... well, hopefully I'll be feeding them... my male hasn't been doing a good job of fertilizing the last few times eggs have been available to him...

dogofwar

CCA Members
Another food (and might help with the eggs) is adding an Indian Almond leaf or three (and some alder cones).

One of our speakers said that the leaves produce lots of microscopic bugs for fry to eat...

Matt

Looks like Golden Pearls are highly recommended...... but I too would like to know if anyone has used or has any experience with the BBS dish mentioned in the start up post?