• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Breathing life into BAP

Becca

Members
CCA has a longstanding tradition of participating in the Breeder's Award Program. This program is open to all club members in good standing and essentially PAYS members to spawn fish.

Wait, what?!?

That's right, the first time you spawn a fish and submit a BAP form, you not only get points, you get a BAP BUCK for each point that fish is worth. These BAP Bucks can be used to purchase items at the CCA auctions.

Is there a catch?

Oh, sure. I mean, how can we talk fish without a catch? The catch is that you HAVE TO SUBMIT THE FORM. When you submit a BAP form with 6 or more fry (3 or more for very rare or difficult fish), you automatically get your base points and bucks.

Becca

Members
And, of course, you know this thing posted before I finished writing it and then wouldn't let me edit....

Is there a catch?

Oh, sure. I mean, how can we talk fish without a catch? The catch is that you HAVE TO SUBMIT THE FORM. When you submit a BAP form with 6 or more fry (3 or more for very rare or difficult fish), you automatically get your base points and bucks. If you auction off your fish at a CCA meeting, your points are doubled. If you're the first person in the club to submit a fish for BAP, your points are doubled. If you're the first, and you auction the fish, your points are tripled. *** Your bucks are not doubled or tripled, but you'll never get less than $10.

What's the point?

So, free money to spend on MORE FISH isn't enough for you, huh??? Perhaps a little friendly competition will spark your interest! That's right, each year CCA gives out awards for the member with the most points, members who surpass a certain points level, etc. Breeding cool fish that you have and raising the fry also helps spread the joy of keeping those fish around the club. Really though, the free money should be enough, for cryin' out loud.

What are the rules?

Rules? We don't need no stinkin'... wait, what's that Pat Kelly Pat Kelly ? You posted a whole list of RULES?

Yes, there are rules, but they're really not that bad. For example, if there are parts of the form you can't fill out because maybe you've never tested your pH in ever, that's fine. If you submit your form when you bring your fish to the meeting, that's cool, too, even if it's more than 90 days post-spawn. Seriously, do you know how long it takes Apistogramma to reach a size where potential buyers can see them???

Don't see your fish on the list? Don't worry, we'll look it up and figure out how many points you deserve. It might take us a couple of months to sort it out, but you will get points.

All cichlid and catfish spawns are eligible for CCA's BAP. Points for cichlids range from 10 points to 50 points. All catfish are 10 points.

Why all the fuss?

Right now we only have 2-3 members participating in BAP. Really, that's all. Our BAP used to be a vibrant and thriving program and we'd like to get back to those days. Leffler817 Leffler817 is really sick of only getting forms from Christine, me, and occasionally Reed who just doesn't seem to get that his hybrids don't count.

Please, help us help you buy more fish and fill out a form next time your fish spawn!

chriscoli

Administrator
Well there’s really a two-step process.

1st verification: post a pic of your baby fish on the forum in the BAP area. It doesn’t have to be a great picture. If the fry don’t make it, no worries...post again on their next spawn.

2nd verification: bring them to the meeting with your form like Becca describes, above.

Wet Sleeves

CCA Members
Staff member
Poor Reed Reed Everyone always picking on him about hybrids :p

Wet Sleeves

CCA Members
Staff member
So how do we verify that are fish species are eligible for BAP? Do they have to be on the IUCN or can they be on other lists? Do they have to be categorized above LC/least concern?

jonclark96

Past CCA President
BAP is not limited to only CARES fish. All cichlid and catfish species are eligible for the club's BAP. There are bonus points available for different things (first to breed them in the club, putting fry in auction, etc.)

Becca

Members
Cheese and crackers, folks!!!!

I included a link to the RULES in this post. It says RULES and is underlined, like a link. It should link you straight to the post. I just tested it, it does. The other thing that looks like a link links you to the form.

The rules are not nearly as complicated as they look - if your fish is a species of cichlid (not a hybrid), it counts. If your fish is a species of catfish, it counts. To participate you must:
1) Be a paid club member
2) Provide a photo of your fry, that were produced by fish in your possession, while they were in your possession on the BAP forum
3) Submit a form
4) Bring fry to a meeting as proof of life

If you're reading this post and the links in it still aren't working for you, then you might not be a paid club member.

Wet Sleeves

CCA Members
Staff member
Cheese and crackers, folks!!!!

I included a link to the RULES in this post. It says RULES and is underlined, like a link. It should link you straight to the post. I just tested it, it does. The other thing that looks like a link links you to the form.

The rules are not nearly as complicated as they look - if your fish is a species of cichlid (not a hybrid), it counts. If your fish is a species of catfish, it counts. To participate you must:
1) Be a paid club member
2) Provide a photo of your fry, that were produced by fish in your possession, while they were in your possession on the BAP forum
3) Submit a form
4) Bring fry to a meeting as proof of life

If you're reading this post and the links in it still aren't working for you, then you might not be a paid club member.
For some reason I was under the impression that BAP was only for cares species. :)

Triviashi_Maru

CCA Members
So, you're saying there is in fact someone who is in charge of the program and will certify the fry if I bring them as a donation?
I didn't bring an extra bag last week because it sounded like there was a question as to whether it would matter.

Becca

Members
There is, yes. You also don't have to donate them to the auction if you don't want to. You get points for auctioning them, but you don't have to auction them as a donation.

So, you're saying there is in fact someone who is in charge of the program and will certify the fry if I bring them as a donation?
I didn't bring an extra bag last week because it sounded like there was a question as to whether it would matter.

Triviashi_Maru

CCA Members
Out of curiosity I went and glanced at the list on the CARES site. There are literally convicts on there. I feel like a trade agreement could be reached between the central american authorities and , like , two home breeders and we could restore that population in a year, two tops.

Becca

Members
Out of curiosity I went and glanced at the list on the CARES site. There are literally convicts on there. I feel like a trade agreement could be reached between the central american authorities and , like , two home breeders and we could restore that population in a year, two tops.

They're on the list because their habitat is threatened, not necessarily because the population is lacking.

Leffler817

CCA Members
Wait, what?

2. Endangered Species.
  1. A CCA member who breeds any species recognized as endangered in the wild or that is included in a Species Survival Program will be awarded 25 bonus points. Breeder will then be awarded 5 bonus points for each successful spawn thereafter (maximum of 5 spawns).

Under the BONUS POINTS section of the RULES posted above, the breeder can breed a CARES fish a total of 5 times. Each time you breed the fish you need to submit a updated BAP form. Instead of getting the 25 point bonus you only get 5 bonus points.

For example; Christine has bred Paralabidochromis chromogenys twice. She earned 25 bonus points for it being a CARES fish, it's a class A fish that earned her 10 points, she was the first to breed it so another 10 points, and she auctioned the juvies off and adds another 10 points.
25+10+10+10=55 points.

Christine's second spawn and fry rearing earned her 5 bonus points for it being a CARES fish, add 10 points for breeding/raising the fish, and add 10 points for selling the offspring in our auction.
5+10+10=25 points this round.

Christine can do this two more times for 25 points each.

This is how I interpret the rules, if I am incorrect it is a minor adjustment to Christine's bazillion BAP point total.