• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Book - Ecology of the Planted Aquarium

Sonny Disposition

Yes, I read it. I haven't had a chance to try anything, but it's worth reading even if you don't take her approach. She really understands plants, so at the least, after reading it, you'll have a better chance of figuring out what will grow in your particular set up.

I got this book a while back, then forgot about it till this past weekend. I've only flipped through it but thought it looked pretty interesting. Has anyone else read it?

Ecology of the Planted Aquarium: A Practical Manual and Scientific Treatise for the Home Aquarist

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0967377315/ref=oh_o02_s00_i03_details

Frank Cowherd

Global Moderators
Staff member
I have been using Diana's recommendations for planted aquariums of quite a few years. I was also fortunate in hearing her talk and got a signed copy of her book afterwords. I did read it and think it is an easy read and informative. I'd not say I follow everything in her book.
Using her method of putting a layer of potting soil or dirt down in the aquarium first, covered with a few inches of gravel and then limiting direct sun light and regular aquarium (low tech lights) I have been able to grow very good plants as long as they are not plants that demand a lot of light. I do have some problems with black beard algae, but no problems with other algaes. But I have a lot of fish in each tank and feed accordingly so algaes can be expected. Water changes once a week.
Both tanks I have set up like that have been set up for more than 5 years and are still going strong. If I vacuum the gravel and am not careful I can suck out some of the dirt/potting soil. Likewise I cannot put in fish that dig. SO there are limits on what you can do and what you put in the tank.
I have two filters on each tank: one HOB and one fluidized bed filter.
Overall, I have been successful with the dirt/potting soil under the gravel/sand at growing better plants than over gravel only.