• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Big,Black and Ugly,A True Malawi Story

Larry Johnson

CCA Members
OK by popular request I have a story for you all.I'm sure you will all get a good laugh about this one!

At some point in you're life, someone will be giving advice/warning while you are having fun and chatting away, while on vacation.
This is what can happen when you are having to much fun!

IN 2002 I was leading a Safaris on Lake Malawi,things went well and everyone had a great time. We had even went up into Mozambique where not to many people travel often and immigration was a different experience,eventually costing us about 8000 MK (Malawi Kwatcha) which is about $100 USD,to get into Mozambique,even though we already had visa's!
It was one of those trips where as soon as you say,,,hey watch the shoreline,because there are often monkeys running along the rocks,,,then within minutes the monkeys appear!
So everything was basically spot on and no problems.
On our way back from Mozambique we planned a stop along the way at Fuware Island which is in the area of Mbenji Island.
We anchored and got ready and over the side we all went,going in different directions. This was the second time I had dove at this island and I had an idea of where to go and what pics I wanted to take.
Namely Aulonocara koningsi. So I'm on my merry way snapping pics and then I start to go over a ridge of rocks and WOW, Protomelas spilonotus! So I just lay down on the rocks at the peak of them and start snapping away. It was awesome,there were 5 males protecting their territories ,which at there extreme boundary,went into the next males boundary, each area covered probably 30 feet, so you can imagine the fin wagging and the excitment I was watching.
I was located on the extreme left of the playing field, although the male I was looking at,,,it was the centre of his territory.
This was towards the end of my dive and my flash card in the camera was getting full, so I pulled it in and I was "chimping" (looking back to see which ones I could delete).:D
Now I had been here at about 60 feet which is kind of a greeny tinge to the water at that depth and not exactly well lite, laying on this rock for about 10 minutes or so and as I started to turn to my right,,,,wholly mother of GOD:eek:,out of the corner of my eye was the largest, biggest, blackest fish that I have ever observed and he was coming toward me!
It was in excess of 9 feet long and would measure approx 18-24 inches wide at the mouth of an even larger pan shaped head! Dorsally the fish was at least taller than is was wide!
Within seconds he was about 5-6 feet away from me he was trying to stick his pan shaped head into the long narrow creavices looking for cichlids,,,,, I just shook my arms straight down in his direction,which I'm sure put a shudder through the water!
The fish immediatly turned on a dime and swam off very fast.I was in such shock that I never even lifted the camera to take a picture!:eek:
I don't know how I didn't sh*t my pants,,,maybe it was water pressure.:D
So, being totally spooked,,,I headed for the boat.
I got to the boat and handed my gear up and then accended the ladder and got into the boat. I must have looked like I had seen a ghost as Adrian said ,'what is the matter'?
I told him what happened and I thought it was some kind of a catfish about 3 1/2 mters long (they do metric over there).
He replied, with no hesitation 'Bombay', I said how big do they grow? He said 'I cannot lift it takes at least three men to lift',,,now consider this guy is small but can lift and carry a 25 gallon barrel (2/3 full) on his shoulder for 1000 ft,,,3 men means that they grow big!
Adrian also added that they do not taste that great,,,so I guess no one takes them to eat unless they have to.
When we all got back to Kambiri Point, Ad was still there and I mentioned what had happened,,,he said I told you about those large fish 2 years ago! Ad went on to remind me how he told us back in '99', on the boat while on Safaris,he first observed one of these cats on a big rock and made a note of the length of it,when it moved away,Ad went to the spot and laid down where the catfish had been,,,,and looking at himself and where the cat was he figured it was about 7 foot.
Yes,I remember that story,,,I didn't remember how big,black and ugly it was,,,he never mentioned that part!:D
He said this fish is called Clarius gigas.Ya GIGAS meaning frigging GIGANTIC!
These cats are generally shy and it had approached me, not by intent but becuase it was hunting for dinner and did not see me because I had been holding still for a long time,,,,being pre-occupied!
In Africa,if you snooze,you loose!
:D:D:D:D

Cheers,Larry

RIFT_LAKES_RULE

Member of the Darkside Tang's Rule!
HOLEY SMOKES!!! That was pretty intense, I can't imagine seeing something like that. I know from my one experience diving, everything looks huge under water. I guess you were glad to hear they are shy and not a threat. :)

Awesome story Bro!!! Can't wait for the next episode. (I'll probably read this one several times)

Thanks Larry!!!

lonlangione

Members
I googled the fishes name and came up with Bathyclarias gigas. There are several articles on this fish and a few pictures on planet catfish. Google it and they will come up. And Larry, I woulda sh*t myself !!!!

Lonny

F8LBITE

Members
great story. This reminds of a question I had for Ad but forgot to ask. Do Peacocks and Haps have natural predators? I imagine these catfish you're talking about probably are.

Larry Johnson

CCA Members
Thanks Gang,I thought you would like it!
I know from my one experience diving, everything looks huge under water.
Just a qwik note here,,,,the 9 foot monster that I had seen was a conservative estimate after taking the 'everything is 25% larger underwater' scenario out of the equation,,,,it certainly appeared much larger than 9 foot underwater!
lonlangione thanks for the proper name, I read the link and yes,I have found this fish in shallow water under rocks and it has bumped into me while taking pics,but this fish was small,maybe 18 inches.
Lake Malawi has a decent amount of catfish, although I'm not sure if they are all endemic to the Lake. I have pics of most of them.
F8LBITEva there are a lot of predators in the Lake which feed on all the fish,catfish being one of them.
Here's a unique video of some other night time predators!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bb7q3L7uVM
To me this appears to be Luwala Reef,as I have observed a lot of these mormyrids there,,,heads stuck into cracks/holes and are found in caves and under rocks during the day time.At night they are aggressive cichlid eaters!
The locals call them 'Mjola'.

Cheers,Larry

Last edited:

Lively

Members
What an awesome story! I googled the fish, too. Got some cool pics on it! In one, it looked like it had blue eyes!

Larry Johnson

CCA Members
Thanks gang!
If you are wondering what we do between diving here's a good example!:D:D:D

Obviously 'hamming' it up for a pic, taken at Chiofu Bay 2006
(Lt-Rt) Larry Johnson,Ad Konings and Martin Geerts.

2006%20Larry%20Martin%20Ad%202.jpg

There's always lots of time for a joke and a good laugh!

Cheers,Larry

SubMariner

Master Jedi & Past VP
Incredible story Larry! Thanx a bunch;) Your stories of the Great Lake Malawi are simply priceless.

I would love to see some of those pictures that you took of the Aulonocara koningsi and of the Protomelas spilonotus.

Is this the Aulonocara koningsi you speak of?

AulonocarakoningsiMbenji.jpg

And is this the Protomelas Spilontus Mozambique that you were speaking of too?

Protomelas_spilonotus.jpg

Thanx again Larry,

Richard Mendez

Lively

Members
Show off! Although, I'll admit your pretty fishies make me want to dabble in the darkside... and I hear tell ya'll got cookies!

F8LBITE

Members
Thanks gang!
If you are wondering what we do between diving here's a good example!:D:D:D

Obviously 'hamming' it up for a pic, taken at Chiofu Bay 2006
(Lt-Rt) Larry Johnson,Ad Konings and Martin Geerts.

2006%20Larry%20Martin%20Ad%202.jpg

There's always lots of time for a joke and a good laugh!

Cheers,Larry

awesome pic!!

RIFT_LAKES_RULE

Member of the Darkside Tang's Rule!
Larry, how many fish can be observed over there in the 20-25 ft depth range? The only time I went diving I wasn't able to get passed 25ft due to my bad sinuses... I have trouble "clearing" the pressure. It actually took probably 10 minutes or so to get down to 20 feet, at 12 ft it was like I hit a wall. From listening to Ad's presentation, and some of your stories it seems that you spend a lot of time 40ft and deeper... :(

Larry Johnson

CCA Members
SubMariner,remember I was at Mbenji Island,Mozambique is still quite far away.The Spilonotus from Mbenji Island is mostly dark blue with faint black barring,the gold blaze is amazing.
The Aulonocara koningsi you picture is the same one.
awesome pic!!
Thanks,that was taken with my old Sony DSC-P1, 3.3 mpl.! It was sitting on one of our Pelican boxes.(Timer shot)

From listening to Ad's presentation, and some of your stories it seems that you spend a lot of time 40ft and deeper...
You can see probably 40-50% of the fish in less than 20 feet of water.As you go deeper there are others like Aulonocara,Afra etc,but sometimes these can be observed in less than 20 ft,,,it all depends on where you go.
While we both dive deeper than 40 ft,some of my pics go down to 130 feet (Taeniolethrinops) you still end up coming back up and spending at least 20 minutes at 20 feet. This is safety precaution, for the 'bends',no sense in ruining the vacation with decompression sickness,,,,or worse!
Most of us use a dive computer ,but there is still much to see at 20 ft or less so my plan is always to crawl along the bottom at this depth to see what's up.
Sinus and ear problems are a usual thing with divers,,,mine is ears,,,up and down with the pressure,,,I need to make sure they are dry when I'm done,,,,or I am done! I think your's sounds a bit more serious though.

Cheers,Larry

SubMariner

Master Jedi & Past VP
"On our way back from Mozambique we planned a stop along the way at Fuware Island which is in the area of Mbenji Island."

You are absolutely right Larry. I kinda of read it real fast and thought you said Mozambique and thought you meant that spilonotus.

Is this the right one? Protomelas Spilonotus Mbenji
Protomelasspilonotusmbenji.jpg

I think this one is a Protomelas Spilonotus Tanzanian.
Tanz.jpg

Thanx Larry,

Richard

Larry Johnson

CCA Members
Yes the first pic is the one!
We sell these all the time in our store up here,they need to be larger than 6 inches to show off their colors.

Cheers,Larry

Lively

Members
I've serious allergies and always problems with fluid in my ears because of it - I'd have issues diving, wouldn't I? I've flown and been in some pain because of the altitude change.

I always have wanted to dive, my dad was a diver in WWII - helped clear mines in the chanel.