• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Betta Interest

CSnyder00

Bearded Wonder
Folks, I’m starting to catch the betta bug and wondered if any of you have ever successfully kept/bred bettas.

I plan on buying HMPK (Half Moon Plakat) and trying to breed them. I will be buying great stock from Thailand, so no cheapies from PetSmart.

Thoughts? Would I have buyers here? Any of you keep bettas now? Pictures?

Hicgup

Members
I have successfully kept and bred bettas a few different times. The first time was back in the mid 80's, most recently about three years ago. I had a great time doing it. I never competed in IBC shows, but that would be fun to do.
If you want to do it for fun, by all means do it. If you are looking to make money, I suggest you pick a different fish.
Plakats will be easier to produce decent quality fish in numbers than half moons or double tails.
My suggestion if you want to raise a bunch of Bettas is to take them to a pet shop and trade them for store credit. Don't expect too much, as the stores can buy them in large numbers every week of the year from wholesalers that import so many fish at one time that the cost of importation is pennies per fish. Compare that to the $5 per fish you pay the Thai export, plus the U.S. Transhipper fee and domestic freight. The most males I ever raised jarred at one time was less than a hundred, so a far cry from being able to supply multiple pet shops on a regular basis. Yes, I have bought Thai fish, bred and raised some. There is a reason people still buy and pay all the fees to get Thai fish.
They are a very rewarding fish to breed and raise, and I am sure you would be able to sell a few to members here, or elsewhere, but unless you do a tub garden Summer extensive grow out, I would not count on breaking even.
So again, for the fun of it, 100% do it, for a money making endeavor, 99% don't try it.

CSnyder00

Bearded Wonder
I never plan to break even on fish. I just wanted to dip my toes into another part of the hobby. Considering you are my sole reply, I believe I have my answer.

Zepp914

CCA Members
I keep a Betta in my 2 community tanks. Currently, I have no room for more Bettas.

The problem with them is you can keep a sorority (and nobody wants that) or you are limited to 1 per tank. Because of how prevalent and diverse they are, people get choosy. You are going to be stuck with the plain/boring/ugly ones. If you were breeding a schooling fish, I think you would find more people willing to take a half dozen or more without being so particular.

Holly

CCA Members
I breed betta's regularly. I have a few hundred of them. I know this thread is a bit old but if you need info Id be happy to help. I started a new facebook page to consolidate all my fish keep antics. Only a few photos there so far but you can friend me if you want. Fiestyfinsaquaria.