• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Best way to Euthanize a large fish - need help

Scraps

Super Genius
Staff member
I have a large 13" plus fish. She has cancer and as much as i love her, I think its time.
Has anyone euthanized a large fish before? Aside from cutting her, I heard of Clove oil (?) but it is not suggested for fish larger than 2".
I'd like to gently help her go. Thank you for suggestions.

jonclark96

Past CCA President
Sorry that you are in this situation. It stinks.

The few times I've had to euthanize, I put the fish in a ziplock and then in the freezer.

CichlidDan

Members
Sorry to hear that she has cancer and that you need to put her down. I would use clove oil to put her to sleep then put her in the freezer like Jon said.

F8LBITE

Members
I had to put my 13 in flowerhorn down. 5 gallon bucket with tank water then put fish in there and add clove oil until fish appears to be asleep. Then add rubbing alcohol to water. Done under 15 minutes.

Becca

Members
I'm sorry to hear this. I'd go with clove oil. I have some here if you can't find it. You'll want to add some to a bottle of water and shake it up really well, then gradually add it to the bucket.