• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Best sand for a geo?

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
I keep my Geo's (and all others) with pool filter sand as the substrate. I don't know the grain size.

Becca

Members
Pool filter works well because it's heavy enough that it doesn't get sucked up into filters when they spit it out mid-swim. I mixed it with Carib Sea "Peace River" sand for a more varied look, as well as river pebbles and large river stones.

lilRia

Chairpersons
Staff member
if you're looking for black, I'm obsessed with Black Diamond blasting medium in medium grit. if you want something finer they do have have a small grit. it's at Tractor Supply Company for like $10 for a 50 pound bag... such a steal. I have it in all my tanks except one which has pool filter that I hate because it gets sucked up in the python haha!

Freakgecko

Members
if you're looking for black, I'm obsessed with Black Diamond blasting medium in medium grit. if you want something finer they do have have a small grit. it's at Tractor Supply Company for like $10 for a 50 pound bag... such a steal. I have it in all my tanks except one which has pool filter that I hate because it gets sucked up in the python haha!
That sand is actually really sharp and can damage their gills while sifting unfortunately