• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Bad luck with Aquaclears

captmicha

Members
I do buy used, mostly. But I have problems with most of the ACs I use, where they'll overheat and/or the impeller stops spinning. Even when I've JUST cleaned the impeller and the cavity out and there's no moss or anything catching it. WHAT is this about?

chriscoli

Administrator
They're known for having the impeller not start back up again after even a quick power blip (super annoying). I've even joked about how it seems most AC's you see have the requisite single chopstick (or other poking device) on the back for when the impeller stops.

People love them because they are quiet. I had them when I had tanks set up in a guest bedroom.

Digital

Members
Ya the shaft can take a beating if the you have fine substrate that is getting pulled into the filter. I don't use the tube extensions because I swear my cichlids try to spit the substrate into the filter.

Marlin

Howie

Members
ACs are temperamental buggers. If you use sand substrate they will inevitably cease up and you will need to put out impeller and clean it and the shaft. Sometimes the shaft comes loose from the motor and it can't be reconnected. Thankfully Fluval gives you a 2 year warranty on them.

Zepp914

CCA Members
I don't like that the lids rattle sometimes. I have had one overheat on me, but they seem to be better made than Marineland and Tetra filters. That being said, I like my Eheim the best, but they aren't as easy to find anymore. They were sold at Petsmart as National Geographic filters, but they discontinued them.

I am only talking about the HOB filters. I haven't played with canisters yet.

I use the extensions in my 29 high tank, but no way would I use them in a 12" tall tank.

jonclark96

Past CCA President
Aquaclears are by far my favorite HOB filter, despite the periodic maintenance that needs to be done on them. As others have said, the impeller shafts need to be replaced on occasion, and I would guess that I get about 18 months out of one, depending on the substrate in the tank. Sand definitely increases the frequency of replacement, but at $4 a piece, that isn't much. Once they get noisy, impeller replacement along with the impeller shaft replacement should get them much quieter.

Zepp914

CCA Members
Thanks Becca! I wasn't aware that product existed. I will have to get a couple "fluval edge pre filter sponges" on my next Chewy order.

Becca

Members
Thanks Becca! I wasn't aware that product existed. I will have to get a couple "fluval edge pre filter sponges" on my next Chewy order.

Nah. Don't get those. They clog pretty fast. Get these and cut them in half - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M3XHJ0P/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I've found the ones above to be useful for powerheads, AC filters, canister filter intakes, etc. The foam is a little coarser and holds up for a reasonably long time. This means they don't clog with sludge or moss (if the tank is planted) incessantly, but will keep heavier stuff like sand out.

mchambers

Former CCA member
Aquaclears are by far my favorite HOB filter, despite the periodic maintenance that needs to be done on them. As others have said, the impeller shafts need to be replaced on occasion, and I would guess that I get about 18 months out of one, depending on the substrate in the tank. Sand definitely increases the frequency of replacement, but at $4 a piece, that isn't much. Once they get noisy, impeller replacement along with the impeller shaft replacement should get them much quieter.

Yes, I agree that Aquaclears are the best HOB filters.

Nah. Don't get those. They clog pretty fast. Get these and cut them in half - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M3XHJ0P/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I've found the ones above to be useful for powerheads, AC filters, canister filter intakes, etc. The foam is a little coarser and holds up for a reasonably long time. This means they don't clog with sludge or moss (if the tank is planted) incessantly, but will keep heavier stuff like sand out.

I use prefilters on mine, but just use whatever foam I have around, such as scrap pieces of Poret, or repurposed sponge filter.