• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Bad day for water changes

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
Long story short, I was working on my 125 at school. I got distracted by a phone call and overfilled the tank. I cut the water off as the water in the tank filled the trim ledge. I thought the worst was behind me. I was wrong. My FX5 began leaking while turned off. I panicked and disconnected one of the hoses without cutting off flow to it. Water began pouring out of the hose. I turned the valve on the hose, but a moment passed before I noticed the water flowing out of the filter (the return hose valve was in flow position). When all was done, I water changed 80% of the tank, and also soaked the bottom of the cabinet stand. Fortunately, I had just cleaned the FX5, so the water in it was cleaner than otherwise.
:(

dogofwar

CCA Members
My fish got water changes for Christmas. And red wigglers ;)

Knock on wood, flooding / water spills was no more than usual!

Matt

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
ah, so sorry, Andrew! That sucks! Any damage other than the cabinet?

Other than a wet cabinet, I don't think there is other damage. The water soaked through the stand to the tiled floor below. The floor has a wax coat, so I'm not worried about it. I am somewhat concerned about mold or mildew from moisture caught between the floor and stand. I'm hoping that as it dries, the wooden floor panel of the stand will soak up the remaining moisture.

Sent from my VS985 4G using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

chriscoli

Administrator
it might be worth sticking a fan under or near the cabinet to keep the air circulating till it dries.

Ever since I set up my oven timer to beep me on wc , I,ve never had an accident. I measure how much water rise in 5 min to project how much more time is left to fill to the top so as to set my timer. It,s easy to be distracted in WC in big tank because it takes a long time to fill.